Chicken Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I almost couldn't bear to get on here tonight. I lost all 6 of my babies. My neighbor's dog went through an electric fence, two chain link fences, chicken wire and a wooden coop to get to them. Please take the safety of your chickens seriously. I now know a few things I could have done differently

·
Banned
825 Posts
NOTHING is "unbearable"...if YOU are alive and well.
SAD...certainly....BUT....WE progress and LEARN with each "failure".
I lost my entire flock to a BIG ****. Unfortunate....BUT, I started OVER AGAIN with
a better understanding of what chickens I preferred AND HOW to protect them.

You have my SINCERE Condolences !!!
BUT...
ENJOY the opportunity to START OVER AGAIN !

BEST WISHES for your NEW OPPORTUNITY !!!
-ReTIRED-

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Well if the dog did that much damage I would be calling the police and having them make restitution.

I lost several hens on the road to careless drivers (very bumpy dirt road with a 15mph limit) and one man stopped with the body of one of my hens in his hands to apologize and he paid me $10 for the loss of my laying hen. I told him he's welcome to take her for dinner, but he didn't want to upset his wife, so since my husband was home we went ahead and butchered her.

Over the years I've lost chickens, but it is never easy. On one hand it's the loss of pets and companions that fill your day with joy and drama. On the other hand it's a horrid waste of your time, money and energy. I would hold the dog responsible. Your neighbor needs to have the dog controlled before it kills other cats, dogs and even children.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I would deffinitly be having the owner of that dog pay for damages ( fixing the coop, fences, replacing BREEDER quality chicks). Take lots of pics and make sure the owner is held responsible.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My neighbor was very sweet, she offered to pay for damages, I declined (I just wanted the offer). She already put her dog down this morning. We will be starting over with added security. =)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Austin said:
I'm sorry to hear that. Did you file a complaint with the local PD?
I don't think it's necessary, my neighbor offered to pay for damages and then she put her dog down this morning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts