Chicken Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a self blue Cochin bantam hen that went broody just over a week or so ago. I replaced her eggs with my sharpest blue Ameraucana eggs. I have been waiting for a clutch of all blue eggs for a while now. Hoping my hen didn't leave them too long. I have her isolated in a dog crate inside the coop. She wanted out today so thought I would let her put to stretch her legs and wings. She ran out and a

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Had the biggest poop I had ever seen come from a bird. It was like green soft serve ice cream and smelled horrid even from far away. My banty roo was thrilled to see her out and wouldn't leave her alone. She was off the eggs for about 20mins before I managed to catch her and help her back in. What are the odds they will survive? They were placed under her Monday and (4days) and the weather here is 76 degrees F or 25C

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think it's a ok and normal amount of time to come off the eggs. Mine also comes off once a day and does a huge smelly poo! I think they store it up as to not dirty their nest....
Good luck and I'm sure they are fine!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, that behaviour seems OK. Broody hens will do anything to keep a nest clean and will definitely not poo whilst in the nest. The reason why the poo is so large and smelly is because they may only poo once a day whilst sitting on the nest and so naturally there is a lot of poo to come out!

Broodiness is a hormonal cycle that builds and so as time goes by (it lasts approximately 21 days) your hen will spend less and less time off her nest until in the latter stages of the cycle, she may not leave the nest at all. They can lose as much as 20% of their bodyweight whilst broody!

Just keep us informed with the progress.

·
Registered
185 Posts
After saying what I said I have now just found my broodys nest and cold eggs...14 days in.i think she had sat back on a different nest? But she went straight back on them. So hopefully mine will hatch! Or I'll be having to buy a day old chick to put under her!!
Hmm fancy a drizzle chicken... Could be a good excuse!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I fired my broody. She was terrible at it. She broke every last egg. What a horrific find. I imagine they pipped and she literally ate them. Or tried to help and killed each one. I may never know :(

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
Unfortunately, its not uncommon for first time brooders to have issues when the chicks begin to hatch. She should be OK the second time she goes broody.

I had one peck a newly hatched chick until the skin was off its skull. I removed all from her, treated the baby for weeks and has them survive. The next time she set I watched closely but she turned out to be a wonderful Mother once she had some maturity on her.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Well I fired my broody. She was terrible at it. She broke every last egg. What a horrific find. I imagine they pipped and she literally ate them. Or tried to help and killed each one. I may never know :(
Wrong time of year to sit eggs...the shells are thin and brittle and easily broken by a broody trying to sit on them, turn them, etc. I wouldn't get too down on your bird, just let her sit earlier in the year next year and don't do any late summer brooding.

Best time for broodies is between Mar~June.

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
It might be true of other breeds, I raised Silkie chicks year round because the rumor that Silkies like to hatch is true. My hatch rates were just as high as any other time of the year. Of course it complicated things keeping peeps warm during the coldest months but I was set up for it.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
You could be right...I've only ever sat standard LF and never the little, light weight and small birds. Maybe their body weight doesn't crush brittle summer eggs. Do you have a good hatch rate?

·
Administrator
21,868 Posts
Or is it just the difference between bantams and large fowl over all? I also had Hamburg and Dutch hens hatching year round. Of course these were young birds that had not settled in to a more Spring/Summer routine yet.

Almost 100% when hen hatched. Of course there was the occasional clear or quitter.

Before I sold the breeding flock, I got so over whelmed with other stuff that I did little to monitor who laid where. Towards the end, if I did not pop unhatched eggs in the bator my numbers would have been way lower due to such staggered hatch dates.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts