Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the 8 new babies chilling in the sun on the front porch. They are about two weeks old now. There are four Eastern Wild Turkeys, three India Blue Peafowl and one Pied peafowl.

Wood Grey Shelf Felidae Serveware

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How sweet. And I absolutely can not tell who is who.
Yes, it's hard to tell them apart. I go out there and sit on the porch swing and they come jump on me, then I can tell. They are all noisy but the baby turkeys are really noisy. They are all so funny to watch, they can strip an ear of cooked corn in a couple minutes.

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
You can only tell by the noise level? I never knew they could look so similar has young peeps.

I'll bet that's a site to see when they hit the corn. Makes me think maybe I should have cooked mine before giving it to the birds.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They’re adorable! Thanks for sharing- never too many baby pics. Or Baby pics! How are Baby’s 1 & 2 getting along now?
They are absolutely fine, other than being the size of vultures. The youngest peafowl is always lowest on the pecking order and gets forced off the big Maple at night. Her name is Nuisance but she goes by New New. When these babies get older they will be the outcasts and New New will join the thug/bully flock. They are really bad, they go over to the neighbor's coop and just walk in. They, the neighbors, have a herding dog named Charlie who will round them up and chase them home. Luckily the immediate farm next door doesn't care when these guys are walking all over their roof and thumping around with their bad vulture selves. And of course their calls can be really loud.

·
Super Moderator
3,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, but I have to maintain peace with the neighbors. I think things are okay, they bought Melissa a three foot big metal yard peacock decoration. I'm thinking of asking them if they want a peachick to raise with their birds, 20 chickens, 4 Guineas, if it's raised with them, it will probably stay, and they make tremendous watch animals, like the guineas do.

Reactions: Overmountain1

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
I know. It's why I go herd mine back to the house when they go over to the one neighbor's. If they'd just be quiet they wouldn't mind but the screaming gets on their nerves.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
I know. It's why I go herd mine back to the house when they go over to the one neighbor's. If they'd just be quiet they wouldn't mind but the screaming gets on their nerves.
I’m sorry but this made me LOL.
Totally logical response I would say!

·
Administrator
21,888 Posts
Nope, I can't tell the difference. I could stare at the pic all day.

@danathome could you maybe answer Cali's question about when you can sex the EWT's? We know PJ is buried these days and he may not see her question.

Hey, @CaliFarmsAR I'm assuming your a girl because of the user name.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I do not think there's a foolproof way of sexing poults other than waiting. Tom poults will strut to show off at a very early age, but hen poults strut when in aggression mode; as they get older these struts look very different. Tom poults are usually bigger and have bigger legs and feet, but there are plenty of exceptions. The same is true of peachicks. My male was smaller than the females and had dainty legs and feet, then when he got older he had a growth spurt and now he is bigger than the pea hens. I gave up sexing poults and wait for them to get around 5-6 months old when the sexes start acting quite different. Possibly PJ can be more positive on this issue. I will certainly be interested in his reply.

When the snood gets longer and hangs down, it's a tom.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Nope, I can't tell the difference. I could stare at the pic all day.

@danathome could you maybe answer Cali's question about when you can sex the EWT's? We know PJ is buried these days and he may not see her question.

Hey, @CaliFarmsAR I'm assuming your a girl because of the user name.
Pea chicks are the ones without stripes on their heads/necks.

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
These are the 8 new babies chilling in the sun on the front porch. They are about two weeks old now. There are four Eastern Wild Turkeys, three India Blue Peafowl and one Pied peafowl.
You sure? I see three poults and five pea chicks. Only three have stripes on the neck and head and I can't make out the snood on some of them.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,743 Posts
Here’s what I see, from what you’ve said, at a guess. I’m interested to see what PJ confirms here too, buuut. I think these ones are the peas?? I can’t quite make out the last two for sure so maybe you can figure those two out or tell me if I’m wrong on the others! But here’s what I see for peas circled.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts