Chicken Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 10 regular sized hens and a bantam rooster named Carlos.6 hens came as 4 mon old chicks. 4 hens came later full grown not knowing there age.They belonged to my neighbors when they moved they gave them to me.I've had them a little over a year.
My problem is with 2 of the 4 older hens Lily and Sally.They all got along at first but they were still young.Mrytle my big black Sussex started it.They were just finding there pecking order and Lily and Sally have learned how to duck.But they still stayed with the flock.
But for the last month.Carlos my rooster has relentlessly run them off,attacked them,pecked them until there scared to be around him.They huddle under trees by there selves.I have separated them for now.
I have read alot of article's and tried many things.There coop is 10 by 10 at the peak of the roof it's 12'.There pen is 10 by 20.They have 4 nesting boxes.Any many roosts at different heights.There in the yard all day and put there selves up when it starts getting dark.Then I got out and feed them and lock them up.
Could it be that Carlos has just to many regular sized hens.

· Administrator
25,039 Posts
You might try a time out for Carlos for a period of time. Where no one can see or hear him.

While you've taken the stress off the two older hens they're actually being punished with the separation because they will have to work their way back into the flock.

If yanking Carlos doesn't help, then he needs to be someone else's rooster.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might try a time out for Carlos for a period of time. Where no one can see or hear him.

While you've taken the stress off the two older hens they're actually being punished with the separation because they will have to work their way back into the flock.

If yanking Carlos doesn't help, then he needs to be someone else's rooster.
I've thought about them being gone from the flock.I really love my chickens.There pets not kept for eggs production.It really bothers and hurts my heart to see them treated like that.I've been putting them outside in morning and putting them up and rest out in afternoon.I'll try putting him up I so hope that works.Carlos is such a little hustler he watchs the rest like a general with his troops.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL,My little general is in a pen in the garage.I put Lily and Sally back with the flock.I'm in coop right now so far so good.Of course Mrytle had to peck.But like I said there good at ducking.How long should I leave Carlos separated
Thank you so much for the help.I'm really glad I joined the chicken forum

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try a week. The one time I had an unruly rooster I turned a more mature hen loose on him. She pounded him into the dirt every time he charged her. He was a good boy after that.

If a week doesn't work I don't think you're going to be able to get him to stop.
Okay I'll let you know.Lily and sally are seeming to be accepted alittle more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts