Chicken Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RIR has had egg bound problems in the past...But in the last two weeks she has laid two eggs in one day two times. She doesn't lay the day before and then she lays one that is soft (no shell) and one with a shell and they have been bumpy and wrinkly looking lately.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? She has unlimited access to oyster shells. I read in my chicken book that it may be a vitamin deficiency or do you think it is the feed I give her? ???

Any thoughts? Thanks for the help!

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
If you are sure that it is her laying 2 in one day, then I would say that maybe the solid one is pushing the soft one out, or vice versa. Normally, a hen can only produce an egg every 26 hours. She may have some kind of problems with her ovaduct that causes the wrinkly eggs, due to the egg binding, and she may never get over it. Especially if the oyster shell doesn't help. Maybe adding some apple cider vinegar in her water to aid in calcium absorption.

·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Fuzziebutt..Yeah, I am sure. I had her in the dog carrier one night bc she was egg bound and there were two eggs in there the next morning. I will add apple cider vinegar and am thinking about getting a vitamin D supplement to aid in calcium absorption. Have you ever done that? I am also thinking that they are not eating as much of their rations because of all the cicadas they have been eating (they are in heaven).
Thanks for responding!

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
If you offer the oyster shell seperate, just in a bowl to the side, she will only eat what she needs. That way it's not wasted in feed. I don't know about vitamin D, never heard that, but it may work. Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts