Chicken Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I was always fascinated with Ostrich but it's not even remotely doable on my farm. Plus adult Ostrich generally are somewhat ill tempered.

·
Serama King
2,351 Posts
As much as I loved the birds, I got out of Emu due to my age. I am no longer strong enough to wrestle them for vaccinations or chase them when they get out.
It's hell to get old/er.

A few days ago people were posting of their pets and how old they are. I meant to post this then but somehow got caught up in other things.

This is our oldest girl, Karly.

Karly.jpg

She will be 17 this coming summer. The picture makes it look like her eyes have cataracts; they don't-her eyes are crystal clear. A minpin cross of some kind.

·
Serama King
2,351 Posts
Where's all the white? My dogs' heads were nearly white by the time they were 10. FYI, they were black dogs.
We have wondered the same thing since she turned eight. Genetics??

There's just a small amount of gray around her muzzle and that has been there for many years.

·
Serama King
2,351 Posts
As a young man, I remember my Uncle John showing me his pure white dog. He took great pride in telling me it was a 22 year old black lab; the same black lab he had when I stayed a summer with them when I was 6 years old.

·
Serama King
2,351 Posts
It certainly is; nothing short a miracle! Not all that unusual for a small dog to live many years, but for a big dog to live past 14...My Uncle had reason to be proud.

The oldest dog on record-an Australian Cattle Dog-29 years. Herded cattle and sheep for twenty years.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,393 Posts
As a young man, I remember my Uncle John showing me his pure white dog. He took great pride in telling me it was a 22 year old black lab; the same black lab he had when I stayed a summer with them when I was 6 years old.
That really is incredible. I can't imagine our girl having gone another 7-8 years! Well, I take that back somewhat. If she had never started getting growths on her body, which eventually became more... then maybe! She was like a pup- until she wasn't, only maybe the last year or so. She was the last of her litter, altho the mother is still alive. Cisco was part of her first litter of pups, so they really weren't that far apart in age.
Anyway, yes, especially a Lab and/or large breed that is exceedingly old. Very cool.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts