Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every evening at dusk now the turkeys are doing more roosting behavior, they fly onto the roof and then into the Maple and Oak trees because I have them, (the trunks), netted about eight feet off off the ground. I'm used to Turkeys roosting about thirty feet off the ground but these two have been going up as high as sixty feet and then working their way back down. The problem is I now have Earl of Derby Fowl and Pioneer Gingers, (the best fliers only), following them onto the roof. They still all end up roosting with their compadres but it's getting to be like a Hitchcock movie!

The Birds.jpg

Reactions: Biring

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
LOL You've got quite a zoo going on there. It might make for a good Funniest Home Video, if they're still on the air.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is funny and I don't mind it, but I want all the chickens to continue to roost in the coop, which they are. The Red Jungle Fowl and the Pioneer Gingers will roost in trees but I raised mine to be coop trained and the nights are colder now.

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
If you can train the other birds to roost in the coop you can train Guineas to do the same. But I'll warn you, it can be frustrating when the girls are moving into sexual maturity.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's similar issues around here, which reminded me. I used to have an Eastern Wild Turkey name Baby Turkey Bird who would go stand off with cars in the street in full display, in the Spring. The Emus were like that too, they would pick a fight with anything during mating season but it was the females who were more aggressive.

Reactions: Overmountain1

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
LOL Pics of the turkey would have been priceless.

Not sure I'd want to be dealing with birds that large when they're in aggressive mode.

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Kimmi has been at me to clip my turkeys as she dislikes them tromping around on the patio, garage, house top, trees, and everywhere else they can get off the ground. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't clip mine. I actually like them flying around like big clumsy raptors! They are entertaining.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL Pics of the turkey would have been priceless.

Not sure I'd want to be dealing with birds that large when they're in aggressive mode.
Some people like watching a turkey stand off with a car and some don't. I've never had a turkey be human aggressive, chickens yes.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe so. I think they are somewhat like Geese and can read fear in humans. I try to make clear the apex of the food pyramid.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All things are food oriented here.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Home is where the feeder is. Except during breeding season.

Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
20,564 Posts
Tell me about it. The Guinea girls are reaching sexual maturity and are driving me nuts. It's driving the males nuts too.

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Some people like watching a turkey stand off with a car and some don't. I've never had a turkey be human aggressive, chickens yes.
My Royal Palm tom gets very aggressive with people; especially when they kick out at him.
It never ceases to amaze me that people think kicking at a turkey is OK. Everyone who comes here is told the same thing, "Don't kick at the turkeys when they come close in curiosity." My toms gang up on anyone who does and the kicker loses. It was funny when the neighbor lady had to run for safety being chased by two toms and a pack of dogs. She won't be coming in my yard again uninvited. Turkeys make great watch dogs.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Turkeys and Peafowl make great watchdogs! Yes, kicking at a turkey earns you an enemy for life. They take it personally. But fighting with an Emu can have grave consequences. You had to have a healthy respect for those birds at all times!

·
Serama King
2,342 Posts
Turkeys and Peafowl make great watchdogs! Yes, kicking at a turkey earns you an enemy for life. They take it personally. But fighting with an Emu can have grave consequences. You had to have a healthy respect for those birds at all times!
I'd love it to have emu, but... Probably not going to happen. I was asked to trade phoenix for muscovey ducks. While Kimmi didn't say no, she made it plain that she thought it would be a mistake and why. I have to agree-muscovey ducks would not be a good addition to my free range flock. I don't want any more pens to care for so she's right. Maybe an ostrich or two... HA

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As much as I loved the birds, I got out of Emu due to my age. I am no longer strong enough to wrestle them for vaccinations or chase them when they get out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts