Chicken Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently acquired 2 Turkeys, They are currently 3months old (13.5 weeks) to be precise. I built a make-shift pen in the corner of the chicken run, but eventually I want them to be able to free range like the other birds. How long do you think it will take them to realise this is their new home? Should I clip their wings so they cant fly off or trust that they will stay close by. I don't mind them roosting up high, there is a nice big tree above the coop that would be perfect, although knowing their siblings they will probably be on our house. lol. The temporary pen isn't big enough to house them in for much longer (They've been stuck in there for 2 weeks now) I thought it would be a week or so but now I am nervous that they will fly off. Also one of their Tom siblings was recently put down for attacking my friends chickens. Which also make me nervous. I mean, ours will have more acreage to roam, so I am hoping that wont happen, but who knows! :confused:

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
I had a pair of turkeys.The tom was great,friendly and funny.The hen was aggressive and kept the chickens out of the coop and chased them away from the feeders.I had to give them away.They both were full grown when I acquired them and had been around chickens.Hopefully yours will blend in the flock since they are young.I'd give them a week in their new home.If they can fly,I'd clip their wings to keep them on the ground until they are familiar with their new surroundings.Good luck!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a flock of turkeys, they don't give a hoot about the chickens. When a new one is introduced they have to sort out the pecking order like anything else but they cohabit very nicely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts