Turkey Turkey eggs

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by Kenzie63, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

How old are turkey hens when they start to lay eggs and how old are the males when they're ready to breed? And do the eggs taste good?

2. rob

rob New Member

i think they start laying at about a year old.

3. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

Well then next February I'll have turkey eggs :). Thanks!!

4. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

Question..since I am new to the Turkey raising...do the Turkey Hens lay all year? and anyone know what the eggs taste like...I have heard they can replace the chicken eggs...this is all new to me... my new Hens were born last Spring..so what should I expect? LOL

5. patlet

patlet New Member

Our turkey hen, Gordon, was a wonderful bird. She followed us everywhere and loved to get into cars, always a surprise to newcomers. Personable and funny, my husband would walk with her down the road. Since she was a bronze, people thought she was a wild turkey and stop to ask how my husband managed to coax one of them out of the woods! We thought she was a he (hence the name) until she was over 9 mos old. She then laid an egg, every other day, for two years! Moulting time was the only time Gordon wouldn't reliably lay. The eggs are tasty. Use like a large to jumbo chicken egg. We used to enjoy them scrambled as they never got watery.

6. patlet

patlet New Member

image-1056331588.jpg

Gordon's the one on the left...lol.

7. cindlady2

cindlady2 New Member

Awww.... Gordon is/was cool! I was surprised how friendly they are.

Well, one of the hen turkeys got out today and as I chucked her back over the fence...I spotted my first turkey egg! :) It was froze and broken.... but my first turkey egg!