Turkey Treats

Discussion in 'Gamebirds' started by Kenzie63, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

Do any of your turkeys have a favorite food or snack that they love? Mine are obsessed with oranges and can eat one in about a minute.

2. Kenzie63

Kenzie63 New Member

Mine also like tomatoes and apples.

3. kg_cg_good

kg_cg_good Junior Member

I have read turkeys love greens...so I usually give my chickens zuchinni or lettuce..and my turkey was not fond of either...today I gave him sunflower seeds and he did show me he liked those...I will have to try the oranges tomatoes and apples.. we don't have any tomatoes left from the garden..the chickens devoured those.. but apples will be easy to get from the trees here...we just added him to our Farm..so kind of trying to spoil him early :)

4. Marengoite

Marengoite Junior Member

They will strip watermelon, cantaloupe, and casaba melons faster than piranhas. I imagine they would do the same for pumpkins, but we've never had any left alive when we've had pumpkin available.

5. TurkeyBreeder29

TurkeyBreeder29 New Member

Mine love lettuce spinach apples and bread

6. cindlady2

cindlady2 New Member

My husband brings old produce home from where he works, it goes in streaks so one week we my have lots of tomatoes, the next lettuce, the next melons. etc..... They seem to like allot of things at first, but by the end of the week tire of them. The chickens devour everything all the time! LOL. I haven't tried oranges with them yet tough, I head they don't like them :confused: I have some now that are getting past their prime, guess it's a good time to see.

On another note.... I have a hen turkey that needed antibiotics and I only had the kind you put in water. They don't seem to drink enough water to get enough and it being winter, meds it the water are difficult. Well, she loves bread! But just putting it on plan bread allot would fall off and she would taste it right away so I sprinkled on the bread then put a thin coat of jam on top. She gobbles it right down and the infection seems to be clearing up. Only thing is now she thinks she should get jam bread twice a day!

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My friend has been juicing a lot and she's been giving me her compost. The chickens aren't fond of carrots, oranges but seem to like the lettuce and celery and they sometimes like apples. If I chop up lettuce, that's when they're the happiest.

8. cindlady2

cindlady2 New Member

OH.... PASTA!!! I forgot pasta in any way, shape and form! (but not raw)