Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! just want to hear your thoughts about chicken treats. It is really necessary to give them treats? Or it is just optional? And if Yes, any recommendations? Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No, treats are not necessary, but they're useful to train chickens to come when called. I've often had to use treats to bribe them into their enclosure.

I use meal worms, too, as well as overgrown cucumbers and zucchini from my garden. Watermelon after I've cut most of the meat out of it. Other veggie scraps.
I agree with you. Giving treats to my chicken helps me to train them especially when I need to call them.

I used bsfl and kitchen scrap or whatever is available among the two.

·
Registered
I have a flock of Buckeyes and a flock I developed over the past 10+ years. I call them Spangled Sar
21 Posts
I recently wrote a book that has a section on treats. The Beginners Guide to Raising and Caring for Chickens. By D.B. Campton. Can be found on Amazon Kindle eBooks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If you have a garden, then give scraps of tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, or corn. There's always throwing out a handful of sunflower seeds. That's what mine get. Definitely approved by chickens, turkeys, and the guinea.
No, treats aren't necessary but its fun to provide them and watch how the birds enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts