Chicken Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a **** which is a real problem in my community. It goes around dumping trash cans and spreading dumpsters. It has killed off several chickens around the area as well as a few if mine in the early summer.
I have witnessed this guy inside my live trap, tiptoeing around eating the mallows and anchovies while not setting the trap(which was hung very loose so as to set if for any nudge).

Anyone out there have some advice on getting this big wise **** to trigger the trap? He did not even go near the duke, may try moving the duke trap and attaching the bait to the trigger plate via some string.
My next option is all night stake out, and until my next weekend that's not an option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm dealing with one myself right now too. Arg.

What about peanut butter? I heard they love it and it'll get messy so they may trigger the trap?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The duke trap is new and likely smells terrible to a ****. I am going to rinse it off well, and try resetting it in a manner as to hide it better.
Nothing beats walking out and finding a cuffed ****.
I will try peanut butter and mallows again but this time I'm attaching some to the trip pad.. If it wants them again fine.. But the trap will go off

·
Registered
60 Posts
You could also "feed" the **** everynight in it, WITHOUT setting it. Then on day 3 or 4, actually set the trap. They'll go in it with ease because it had been a positive experience the nights before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts