Chicken Forum banner

Toulouse geese

Geese 
5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  kaufranc 
#1 ·
Here are some of my Toulouse Geese (production variety). I currently have a flock of 6. Although I have a livestock pond, my Geese do not use it. I have two kiddie swimming pools for them. It is probably a good thing they do not use the pond because there are some large snapping turtles inhabiting it (and known to take feet off geese or kill ducks).

They also will incubate their own eggs and when hatched, the gander and the rest of the flock protect the babies as a group.

See less See more
#5 ·
Sundancers said:
I priced a pair the other day ... the guy wanted 75 bucks!!! (ouch)

Guess I will keep looking. ~Sigh~ I miss our local fowl sales.
Pairs run between 75-100 bucks here in NH. It takes the good part of a year to figure out the pairings (or triplets) since Toulouse sexes are so difficult to tell apart with immature birds. Also, to get a good match, it's best to wait for at least one season of laying. Two seasons will be a proven pair and therefore cost that much more. Geese can easily live to their twenties nowadays...a proven pair can provide hundreds of eggs and/or goslings. Anyone interested in raising geese need to know that they are messy, always looking for something to mess with and can be wicked when nesting. Even the most docile breeds, Embdens, Toulouse and Pilgrims, will turn protective when nesting.

#7 ·
Pairs run between 75-100 bucks here in NH. It takes the good part of a year to figure out the pairings (or triplets) since Toulouse sexes are so difficult to tell apart with immature birds. Also, to get a good match, it's best to wait for at least one season of laying. Two seasons will be a proven pair and therefore cost that much more. Geese can easily live to their twenties nowadays...a proven pair can provide hundreds of eggs and/or goslings. Anyone interested in raising geese need to know that they are messy, always looking for something to mess with and can be wicked when nesting. Even the most docile breeds, Embdens, Toulouse and Pilgrims, will turn protective when nesting.
We had an auction once a month, (before all the new rules and regs.) We I could by them for 10 ~12 bucks per bird... so I could get a pair for 20 ~ 24 bucks. ;) I've never had to pay over $30 for any pair.

I just need to start checking our Ag. Review ... And as this is the first of the month, I will do that come morning. (Thanks for the reminder. :D)

#13 ·
You should check in SouthEastern KY. People always try to upsale them but, truth is... You can usually purchase from $10-$15 pet bird. You'll only find Toulouse, Embden, Chinese, African or crosses on the regular. I have only ever purchased birds that were in HORRIBLE living conditions just to get them away from the people or ornamental birds from respectable breeders. My ornamental include a pair of unrelated Canada's, bar-head & pacific white-fronted geese (in which I LOVE these last two breeds).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.