Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many raisins are too many for a 6-7 week old chick? Whenever I give them out there's always a glutton who tries to eat them all. Even if I do get it to the chick I'm trying for, sometimes they'll run up and steal it from them (even the roo!). They aren't lacking for food. :) It isn't even the same one every time. It changes nightly who is going to be greedy. So how many raisins are too many? (They also get mealworms sometimes) Thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least they don't fight over them that way. :D I probably should have added that they have access to chick grit.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
I'm not sure raisins are toxic to chickens. I know they are toxic to dogs as I've treated many of them post raisin bread etc.

Could try meal worms instead just to be safe.

And it's the pecking order thing that allows one guy to get more than the others.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think they are toxic, but I was afraid that too many might upset their stomach. They do get mealworms, I was just trying to mix it up a bit. They seem like they think it's a juicy bug the way they run around chirping when they get it. I'd like to keep giving them raisins, but I would stop or try harder to limit them if they should only have a few. I guess they must still be figuring out their pecking order since it changes who is being greedy. I would have thought the roo would be on top of the food chain? Oh well.

·
Banned
825 Posts
I'm not sure raisins are toxic to chickens. I know they are toxic to dogs as I've treated many of them post raisin bread etc.

Could try meal worms instead just to be safe.

And it's the pecking order thing that allows one guy to get more than the others.
....just like humans.....
...only with humans....it's more complicated.

I TRY to "hide-my-raisins"....
BUT...I'm sure that I eat them too FAST !

Ha-Ha !
-ReTIRED-:)
P.S. Ha-Ha...do you think that "Social-Security" will continue to send me the "raisins" that I stored with them over a working lifetime ? :confused:

·
Registered
764 Posts
There's a few chicken treat blends that have raisins in them... I give them to my chicks all the time, they are 5&6 weeks old.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is good to know I have been thinking about adding some to there food so now i will. I love them my self and i think my birds will as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts