Today is the day

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by Maryellen, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

10:30 this morning the state will be here to test all my chickens. I will be at work as I can't take off so bill will hopefully be able to hold the chickens while the state swabs and does bloodwork. They said results will take a week. She wasn't sure how long the necropsy would take though.

2. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope it goes well and nothing is found where you have to cull the flock.I know this is probably very frightening and I really wish I could help.The really scary part is it could happen to anyone,anywhere.My fear is the wild,migrating birds will bring something to my flock and that is why I started feeding the feral cats,to chase the birds and rodents(another source of parasites and disease) away.I even skipped the county fairs this year because there was a pig positive with swine flu at one of the first ones.I don't have pigs but the disease was enough to keep me away,maybe for good.

Maryellen likes this.

3. Maryellen

The state left per bill. Said my chickens in my new coop have mucous in their mouths. She will call me later to go over stuff and what I owe. Blood and swab results she said should hopefully be in Friday . Necropsy results she is unsure when it will have results as the hen has to be sent out today

4. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Good luck ME. You've been through the wringer with this.

Maryellen likes this.
  5. seminolewind

seminolewind SuperModerator Staff Member

My fingers are crossed for you and I'll be waiting along with you holding your virtual hand.

Not for the money, you have sunk a lot of emotional attachment into your birds and ventures. I hope whatever they have does not prevent you from starting over if possible.

Love ya, ME.

Maryellen likes this.
  6. Steinwand

Steinwand Member

If you don't mind my asking why are your birds being tested by the state?

7. Maryellen

And Per The state she thinks it's ILT , tricomyosis? And possibly MG not sure yet. Almost all my chickens have mucous in mouths. 5 have lesions in mouths. The one with the black mark on wattle is definitely not fowl pox. Dead hen hopefully will be sent out for necropsy but might not be able to due to days in fridge. I am.now waiting for blood and mouth swabs to get a definite answer. The state said there Is definitely some underlying issue but not sure what ,has to wait for results from lab and it might take a week

8. Maryellen

I'm not happy right now.

seminolewind likes this.
  9. Steinwand

Steinwand Member

I hope everything works out for the best!

10. robin416

robin416 Super Moderator Staff Member

No, ME, and you have no reason to be happy about any of this.

I know telling you not worry is useless so I won't. I will be watching and hoping that the observations are wrong. You did the right thing though having them tested.

Maryellen and nannypattyrn like this.
  11. Maryellen

Steinwand,my birds were sneezing and had bubbles In one eye, then 2 died in 24 hrs so I called the state to test them so I could find out what was wrong

12. Maryellen

I'm hoping so to robin, I really am. I'm pissed and upset.

13. robin416

My best friend went through this with her flock. What I will tell you is that she came back from her flock issues with the help of friends when it was safe to do so. And she came back with a vengeance.

Once they have a diagnosis, depending on what is, they are probably going to want to do a trace back to find the point of origin.

seminolewind likes this.
  14. Maryellen

I hope so. All the time and energy I invested, and money. To have it all possibly be wiped out is infuriating me. I won't do anything hasty. Once I get complete accurate diagnosis I will begin. The state still has to come back to test for mareks too

nannypattyrn likes this.
  15. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Active Member

got my fingers and toes crossed for ya -

16. robin416

And the heartache. I don't care how tough you are, this hurts in your heart.

States are different on how they address these issues but I would check to see if they have a reimbursement program. I don't know how it works, I just know my friend had that option.

17. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

18. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

ME, for your information; scroll down in this link and read a short paragraph about Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT.) It describes the mucus plugs in the windpipe as well as bloody mucus that is slung with head and neck shaking. When birds do this, they are trying to expel mucus and or blood so they can breathe, or they will suffocate.
    As you can see however, there are symptoms your birds dont have. So again, we have to wait for the results. I would immediately cull my flock if mine had ILT or MG.
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

19. Maryellen

Dawg if my flock has ILT or mg or mareks ir any disease that makes them a carrier I will be culling everyone:(

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  20. robin416

ME, if it's ILT the state will be doing it. It's handled as a bio hazard. They will disinfect your buildings and ground. At least that's how they do it down here.