Chicken Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to chickens and mine are about 6 or so weeks old. I think 2 of my bantams are roosters because they are both getting red combs before the others, one of them has a deeper chirp, and they both seem to be butting heads. I'm looking for some tips on how to tell if they are roosters. Please and thank you. :)

·
Banned
825 Posts

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
This is my "go-to" photo to show the boys/girls in young peeps. Right about 3 weeks (in my experience) the boys combs pop up and start to color. The peeps in this photo are in the 4 week range. From left to right it's boy, boy, girl.

Far left is a delaware boy, the center is a barred rock/australorp cross boy and the far right is a barred rock girl. Mama Marbles is an Australorp.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yep, sexing chicks can be a challenge. It's easiest when you have a clutch of chicks of the same age and breed-- compare comb color and size, leg size can be helpful too-- larger legs usually indicate males--however, I'm finding that NO HELP AT ALL with Polish chicks!!! As they mature, you can look for those "pretty" pointy small feathers on necks and near their tails -- those will be males too. Overall, redness coming in the combs is the best indicator. gOOd Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts