Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just got 3 new chicks to replace the ones eaten by mister fox in the snow. The two original chickens are very aggressive to the new ones, any tips to help then get on? We have put them all together in the coop the past 2 nights but it is quite traumatic. They are free range in the orchard during the day so they squabble a bit but try and avoid each other.

·
441 Posts
They need to be together, yet separate. Wire crates or temporary "walls" made out of some chicken wire will work. The older birds can kill the younger ones.

How old are the chicks?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm separating just one new girl, who's replacing a roo we didn't anticipate having. I have a section of coop run that I've separated with wire. It's only about 4'x3' but I'm hoping she wont need to be I there for too long. The other girls can see her and interact. I also have a doggy gate that I'm outing up in the yard to contain the newbie while the others can still see her. Anyone have an idea how long they'll need to be separated before I can let them roost together and be in the same yard? Good luck with your new birds OP!

·
441 Posts
I'm separating just one new girl, who's replacing a roo we didn't anticipate having. I have a section of coop run that I've separated with wire. It's only about 4'x3' but I'm hoping she wont need to be I there for too long. The other girls can see her and interact. I also have a doggy gate that I'm outing up in the yard to contain the newbie while the others can still see her. Anyone have an idea how long they'll need to be separated before I can let them roost together and be in the same yard? Good luck with your new birds OP!
Every bird being an individual, you just have to observe them and you'll get a sense of when they are ready to be together. If the new bird is of roughly the same size it shouldn't take more than a week or so. Chicks should be allowed to grow to about the same size before they are left unsupervised with older birds. Some pecking, bluffing and chasing are normal, part of re-arranging the pecking order. Chasing the new bird(s) down with intent to harm is not.

·
Registered
209 Posts
^^^thanks for this. My only concern is that I don't have the space in the actual roost part of the coop to have a crate or anything in so the birds can all 3 be in the same space. After the trail separation, how difficult might it be to allow the newbie to roost with the others, or should it be ok as they've had a chance to be in the yard together? Thanks again. I'm a bit worried.

·
441 Posts
^^^thanks for this. My only concern is that I don't have the space in the actual roost part of the coop to have a crate or anything in so the birds can all 3 be in the same space. After the trail separation, how difficult might it be to allow the newbie to roost with the others, or should it be ok as they've had a chance to be in the yard together? Thanks again. I'm a bit worried.
If the birds are of roughly the same size, try adding the newbie at night. Plan to be there at first light to see that they are getting along.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We use a product called rooster booster. It is great for helping to stop bleeding caused by pecking but it also reduces pecking in general because it tastes funny to the chicken who does the pecking. We introduced two new girls to the coop who were a little younger than the others. The low girls in the pecking order made sure they didn't lose their place and went at them. The higher ranking ones didnt really care or notice. I put rooster booster on commonly pecked areas like back of the head and in front of the tail feathers. While it is wet and fresh it completely stops pecking and got the new girls a few hours of peace. Older girls are finally starting to let up after 3 or 4 days. I think keeping the older girls busy has helped as well. We move their hay around, throw in some caught bugs and found snails and grass clippings and added a few things to climb on that we found on curb at neighbors house. Chickens aren't picky. Trash is always a treasure for them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts