Chicken Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they're not raised it's just where color didn't get laid down on the egg. It's probably nothing to be concerned with.

Good that you noticed though. Those small things can mean something more many times.
I feed them egg layers crumble, dried black fly larve, live grasshoppers, ground corn, herbs and fresh vegetables, should i add ground oyster shell too? The shells are pretty hard already though.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts
Easy on the treats. You want them to eat more of their feed because it's got the balanced nutrition they need. You only need to add extra calcium if the shells are thin.

I didn't know this until recently but the color on the eggs is only on the surface. Somewhere in the building of the egg they lay down a layer of color. Since they're both new layers they didn't quite get it totally covered. Like I said, nothing to be concerned about.

· Administrator
25,420 Posts

· Super Moderator
42 Posts
Regarding the egg colors, the brown pigments are on the surface of the egg, added as a layer of paint in the shell gland. The blue color of eggs is all the way through the shell and is switched on by genetics. Then olive eggs are blue shells with a brown layer on top of it. And the pink egg color you mention is an olive egg where the bloom on the shell turns the egg pink. The beautiful world of egg colors.

If you touch the egg, you remove the bloom and it can change color. The bloom has a different effect when it's dry. I have never heard about orange eggs, though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts