Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the coop last night and when I came in a realized I had THOUSANDS of tick larvae crawling all over my hands. I went out this morning and was careful not to touch any chickens and I still got 30 or so baby ticks on me. Has any one else had this problem? Maybe they aren't ticks? What do I do!

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
Thets weird, we had a horrible tick problem until the we got chickens. Now we dont have a problem anymore. If your getting them on you in the coop, it sound like you better clean the coop out. If you have that many tick to were your getting 1000 on you at a time they will kill your chicken.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
It may be mites, I have only seen baby ticks piggy backing on larger ticks in the Spring. If you had that many at once I would say mites.

I had a sickly hen with mites and I just picked her up and I had them all over my hands in seconds. Talk about the creepy dance. EEeeewwww.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. I think its mites. I googled it and the pictures look like what was crawling on me. I'm going to Agway to pick some stuff up. Thanks for the responce!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah. Big time.

I just picked up some diatonatious earth. (Sp?) we'll see how that works.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Frontline at 1/2 cc per 10 pounds worked wonders on my flock. Be great ever since. (I did the creepy dance too.)

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
And the mites don't live on the chickens, they live in the cracks and crevices in the woodwork of the coop. They get on the chickens to feed, then off. You need to dust the whole coop also, even in the cracks. I know the creepy dance. I have called it the heeby jeeby dance. :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts