Chicken Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a terrible picture but these guys are four days old now. There is one lighter chick, it's a Celadon. They zip around so fast that my phone camera can't properly focus. My turkey hen who tried nesting in the neighbor's boat is now back pretty much full time being very noisy on the back deck and begging for treats with the peafowl. Her sister is nowhere to be found. My suspicion is that she has a better hidden nest and is staying on it. We've had two days of a.m. snow so if she's being serious about a nest, she probably hasn't left it much. Tomorrow is supposed to be 46 degrees, so I'll try to keep a lookout for her. I think they both went broody at the same time which somewhat explains why during the two weeks prior they were being so mean to the chickens and fighting with the roos.

Tibetan Coturnix Chicks.jpg

·
Serama King
1,951 Posts
They're black and white? My second hen turkey should hatch next week. I have been lucky so far in that none of the birds are hiding their nests.

A third phoenix has gone broody and I am ticked at myself. I thought the eggs were from a cross bird and boiled all of them as chick feed.

·
Serama King
1,951 Posts
Yeah, well I'm supposed to out of birds. If I can't control myself I'll never be out.
If they make you smile and laugh, you should have birds. I worry that should I die, what happens to my birds, goats, and dogs? Kimmi would keep a few favorites, but there is too many days where she can't care for herself, much less the animals. So I'm looking for a special someone who would/could take on the animals and find homes for those they couldn't keep if the worst should happen. I have a few people in mind, but it's a lot to ask of anyone. Is that why you don't want more birds? The doctor tells me there isn't a reason I couldn't live and be active for many years. Even if it were less I'd have birds; probably less though.

·
Administrator
19,502 Posts
That's part of it. But it's also the work involved. With my heart issues I'm not supposed to do some of the housekeeping that needs to be done with them. If I can't clean their pens, I can't in good conscience have them living in less than the proper conditions.

·
Super Moderator
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, I think they are the same specie as what you have; just a subspecie or different breed at most.
Correct, subspecies, as I understand.

·
Super Moderator
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After looking at images on Google, yes, they are dark browns and blacks; some with white. Very distinctive.
Yes, there are a few variations, some very distinctive.

·
Super Moderator
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sure hope this isn't going to get me to try a new type of quail.
Why not, the Tibetans are extremely hardy and energetic.

·
Serama King
1,951 Posts
That's part of it. But it's also the work involved. With my heart issues I'm not supposed to do some of the housekeeping that needs to be done with them. If I can't clean their pens, I can't in good conscience have them living in less than the proper conditions.
Yes, cleaning is an issue for me too as it get harder to do, but there are ways to make it easier; elevated floors so a person does not have to bend over, easy clean surfaces like plastics which are easy to scrape and rinse, deep litter method, feeders meant for ease of cleaning and not just to catch the eye of buyers, etc. Creativity and imagination solve a lot of problems. Having birds doesn't have to be a large flock or a big coop that's difficult to maintain. I clean this coop by using a garden hose and flushing out the wastes. Perches and the small coop area do have to be cleaned; it's small so it takes very little time and effort.

Attachments

·
Administrator
19,502 Posts
It would require me building something or buying something premade. That just isn't going to happen.

Deep litter. It's exactly the bedding that I'm not supposed to be shoveling.

·
Super Moderator
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It would require me building something or buying something premade. That just isn't going to happen.

Deep litter. It's exactly the bedding that I'm not supposed to be shoveling.
Yes, me too, I haven't had quail for a dozen years. If these don't sell, I will have to buy or build something.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts