Chicken Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my new neighbor. She moved into the back end of the property next door to me sometime a month or so ago, and by the time I noticed her she was in pretty sorry shape. I trespassed long enough to set a water dish and a dish for layer pellets up against the chain link fence so I could replenish them, and started throwing her some scratch and vegetable peelings. She's looking a lot better now. She also seems to be a sociable sort, and listens when I talk to her.

I'm in a small unincorporated community in SoCal, and a lot of people keep at least a few chickens. But if this hen came from one of my neighbors, she seems totally uninterested in going home. Unusual; my experience is that when chickens get out of a run or coop, they tend to hang around anyway for the company.

I have nine Old English Game bantams from Cackle Hatchery that are ten weeks old, and a Barred Rock pullet who apparently got included by mistake. Right now I have them in a coop/run combination and let them out for about an hour each evening, but when they get a little older I plan to free range them; I have a half acre with a 5 ft block wall on one side and 5 ft fences on the other three. I've seriously considered collecting her some night and introducing her to my little flock, if I can find where she roosts.

Meanwhile, can anyone identify her? There's one place somewhere up the hill behind me that seems to have a lot of roosters, judging by the sound, and I've sometimes wondered if they're raising fighting cocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think she's a mix of some sort. I've got a couple of favorite people who can usually put this together, @ChickenBiscuts, @fuzzies and @imnukensc.

I'm surprised she hasn't already gone over the wall to join your flock. She still might and you won't have to hunt her roost down.
My little flock still spends most of its time penned up near the other side of my property, and right now I only let them out for about an hour each evening before they bed down. So she may not have noticed them yet. She also may be leery of my Border Collie mix. But a neighbor says she's seen her on my side of the fence a time or two very early in the morning...
This is what my bantams call home. Normally I'd be letting them out freely by now. But there's a feral cat with kittens under one of my sheds, and my little guys are still snack-size.

Building Wheel Sky Tree Shade

Vertebrate Sky Tree Mesh Wheel

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
:ROFLMAO: Snack Size!!!

You can try putting some food for her on your side of the fence. Get her used to coming over to your side.

I've caught a couple of feral birds. It took time and patience and timing.

·
Super Moderator
4,236 Posts
Hmm, she looks like could actually be pure for a game breed of some sort, and I'm not super familiar with a lot of those by name... @ChickenBiscuts I don't remember, do you know game breeds well?
It is most likely, she is an intentional cross depending upon the type of game fowl breeding the original owner is doing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hmm, she looks like could actually be pure for a game breed of some sort, and I'm not super familiar with a lot of those by name... @ChickenBiscuts I don't remember, do you know game breeds well?
I do not. I usually just tend to group them all together and say either “American Game“ or “Oriental Games” etc.. when it comes down to all the different lines and such, that’s a world I have yet to dive into.

·
Super Moderator
4,236 Posts
It gets complicated. In simplest terms, one is breeding for traits that show up with certain genetic markers in varying degrees. There are only about forty members left of the national GF OE show breeders club. So the knowledge is disappearing with all the old folks. Years ago, when my children were involved in 4H, we got involved with breeding jungle fowl for showing and they are more bantam sized. They are spectacular birds with lots of color and personality.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts