Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this little guy today.... He's a week old and was born with something wrong in his neck... It goes upside down or sideways... And he falls over all the time... :(

Attachments

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's wry neck. He might make it. There was another thread on here that might help you.
Both
:(
And
:) since he has a chance

·
Registered
772 Posts
:( :( :( I hope you have more luck with other chicks that you buy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not trying to sound mean in any way, but why did you buy him knowing of this problem? That's one breeder I'd definitely stay away from in the future. Poor thing doesn't have a chance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't necessarily buy him they actually gave me him free since I bought 2 others. And I got him cause I felt bad for the poor guy and I was hoping I could raise him since I didn't have very many chicks that would pick on him....

·
977 Posts
Sorry about your chick Carly. I to love to help the unfortunate ones. I like to think I can save them. Sometimes I can't but I have a few miracle chickens!

·
Registered
159 Posts
carlyjo said:
Just bought this little guy today.... He's a week old and was born with something wrong in his neck... It goes upside down or sideways... And he falls over all the time... :(
That is the weirdest thing I've seen with chickens, although I'm not very experienced. How does that happen? Birth defect?

·
5 Posts
Not so much of an issue of bad breeding as it can be incubation. It's too bad but a hatchery doesn"t usually ship anything out like this ,must have been a simple slip-up dureing sorting . Too bad but good luck with your other birds!

·
Registered
92 Posts
It also could have been a brain injury. I had a silkie chick that had an issue like that a while ago. Not quite to that extent but similar. It can also be a vitamin B and or protein deficiency. Mine is still alive. No problems with his neck after a few weeks of poly v with no iron and scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So sad. Sorry-

We had one very similar to that. We thought it had a stroke at first but, looking back I believe she survived an illness. When she arrived, she looked ill and got worse. Her neck became "twisted". We fed her with a tube for a week, and she eventually got better. When we put her with the rest of the chicks, some of them got sick too, but we didn't connect the dots at the time.

She lived for almost a year. She began to have problems eating and breathing. I had to put her down because she was suffering.

So, I guess the moral of the story is that maybe it is for good for your flock and even the chick that it left so quickly.

·
441 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your little one. Bless you for wanting to give his life a chance. He passed having known love, that's what is important. :)

Two and a half years ago I made the choice to give a silkie X chick a chance. She has a severe crossbeak and a skull deformity. Two and a half years later and she is the top bird in her little flock. Will I ever breed her? No way. Will I always love her and admire her determination? You betcha.

·
1,466 Posts
Sorry about your chick Carly. I to love to help the unfortunate ones. I like to think I can save them. Sometimes I can't but I have a few miracle chickens!
i'm finding that buff orpingtons are more prone to leg problems
so far none of my silkies have had any problems
but i have had 2 different buff chicks that couldn't stand or walk
after giving them a week to see what would happen
i was forced to put the poor things down
they just couldn't get to the feed or water & they were just as lite as a day old chick. poor things....i guess that is 1 of the things that you have to get used to when hatching :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts