Chicken Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first group of 6 chicks and would like to add an Australorp. From what I've read they are a great dual purpose backyard bird.
#1: are they a friendly bird? Social? Mild?
#2: would they be ok if I added them to my other 2 week old chicks?
Any advice would be great! Thanks!!

·
67 Posts
I have some australorps coming in my order next week. My dad had a whole flock of 25 australorps they are great birds gentle quiet and lay plenty of eggs. As to adding them to your other chicks I would think it would be fine, just keep in mind that the australorps are more docile and they may get picked on someone with more experience will weigh in Im sure.

·
Banned
825 Posts
TYPICAL AUSSIES !
ALWAYS
MUCH BETTER than your "average"...whatever.

FUN, too !

whoops... :eek: ....YOU were talking about CHICKENS ! ( Oh WELL ...same opinion. )
I think it is an "Austrolorp" that holds the WORLD'S RECORD for laying eggs over a full-year's time.

AND an attractive Chicken also ! :)

-
ReTIRED-
P.S. I haven't had any Australorps. But I'm VERY PLEASED with my BUFF ORPINGTONS....from which AUSTRALORPS are based.

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
You'll love the Australorp breed. They're very sweet, docile, submissive, smart, friendly, and well, Lilah is stubborn. My Australorp is just turning 2 years old and she's just a love. Feathers shine a beautiful irridescent green/purple in the sunlight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!! Ok, I feel pretty good now about adding a new Autrolorp chick or two to my little flock. I hope the lady selling them still have a couple left :) they should all be about the same age and hopefully adjust well since they will be within two weeks of age with each other.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've been raising Australorps with Buckeyes and Dom's this spring and the Australorps were much more "flighty" than the other two breeds?!?!? As they have gotten older (8 weeks now) they are more calm, shy and reserved compared to the Buckeyes and Dom's. Looking forward to see how they are as adult fowl. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts