Chicken Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm living in Pittsburgh as of now and I was hoping to get three ameraucana hens from day old chicks, though I've heard you can only get those in large quantities? I was also wondering if they were winter hardy or if not what breeds would be ok in Pittsburgh weather with only 3 hens? Im very new at all of this and although I've been grazing the Internet I value experience much more. Also what is everyone's favorite hatchery?

·
Registered
839 Posts
I can't help with the favorite hatchery since I bought mine all locally. I have an Americana and a couple EE's. mine are very cold hearty, I live in Alaska. I actually like them the best since they don't have large combs and waddles to worry about getting frost bite.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I'm living in Pittsburgh as of now and I was hoping to get three ameraucana hens from day old chicks, though I've heard you can only get those in large quantities? I was also wondering if they were winter hardy or if not what breeds would be ok in Pittsburgh weather with only 3 hens? Im very new at all of this and although I've been grazing the Internet I value experience much more. Also what is everyone's favorite hatchery?
Welcome & Greetings from Ohio....the Buckeye state!!!
I'm talking the "Buckeye Chicken" NOT the worthless nut!!!

I'd recommend finding a reputable breeder rather than using a hatchery....it really depends on your goals and objectives! If you intend to breed them down the road hatchery stock is NOT in your best interest.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't help with the favorite hatchery since I bought mine all locally. I have an Americana and a couple EE's. mine are very cold hearty, I live in Alaska. I actually like them the best since they don't have large combs and waddles to worry about getting frost bite.
WOW in Alaska? I'm sure they could handle Pittsburgh then! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buckeye thanks for the advice! Though I haven't found any breeders here in pa with ameraucanas :\ do you know of any out of pa worth the drive?

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
I get all my chickens locally. Feedmill a half hour from my house is able to order as little as one chick to 6 month old pullets. They order from a hatchery in Wisconsin. My Ameraucana I just got from a friend end of Sept. and this is her first winter. She does just fine as the rest of my girls. I live in Upper Michigan where it does get quite cold for the winter.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Buckeye thanks for the advice! Though I haven't found any breeders here in pa with ameraucanas :\ do you know of any out of pa worth the drive?
There is the hatchery route....Meyer in Polk, Ohio isn't too bad of a drive from Pittsburg, PA;

http://www.meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?category=Chickens&grd_prodone_filter=PRODUCT%5fID%20%3d%20%27BAMS%27

The Ameraucana Breeders Club is the first place I'd look for a breeder in my region or places i'm willing to travel to for birds;

http://www.ameraucana.org/BreedersDirectory.htm

Check Eastern Ohio as well as PA when looking at their breeder directory, too! ;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome & Greetings from Ohio....the Buckeye state!!!
I'm talking the "Buckeye Chicken" NOT the worthless nut!!!

I'd recommend finding a reputable breeder rather than using a hatchery....it really depends on your goals and objectives! If you intend to breed them down the road hatchery stock is NOT in your best interest.:)
Why is hatchery stock not good for breeding? Sorry I'm brand new to the whole chicken thing :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hatcheries are good for pets. They are not the quality you want if you every intend to show them or if you are interested if preserving a certain type of bird by breeding them. Hatchery birds are produced on a larger scale and they are not picky about how the birds compare to the APA standard of perfection. But like I said they are very good for a backyard flock if that is all you want.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts