Chicken Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this has been happening for a few days now when collecting eggs I get an egg like the one in the photo.It is strange it's shell is very thin so thin that when I hold it or put any pressure It will crack and the egg yolk is waterier than usual all of our hens are around 3 almost 4 years old we have been giving them oyster shells but stopped after it didn't do anything we haven't yet identified which chicken has been laying these eggs and all of them seem fine but we just don't know what's wrong any ideas?
Wood Gas Serveware Circle Natural material
Tableware Food Dishware Fluid Ingredient

·
Administrator
24,628 Posts
Give them the side calcium back. There is nothing wrong with leaving it there for them. They know instinctively if they need it and will utilize it.

Several things can be going on. Age. Your birds are getting up there in age. Especially if they're hatchery birds.

Time of the year. One of two things could be going on. Shorter days triggers a slow down in egg laying. And Fall is a popular time to start a molt. Look for more than the usual feathers laying around. Some drop them in one place, others leave a trail.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Yes, give them their calcium supplement back. Also, what are they eating? They should be on a balanced feed. Many people do a Layer feed with added calcium, others do a Flock Raiser type of feed, and if you're doing that calcium on the side is an absolute must.

It's also not unusual for a hen to lay a "hiccup" or "screwup" every once in a while. Right now my eggs are not very high quality because I have several hens in a molt. Even outside of a molt, I get a thin shelled or rubber egg every once in a while, and the next day every egg is perfect.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Give them the side calcium back. There is nothing wrong with leaving it there for them. They know instinctively if they need it and will utilize it.

Several things can be going on. Age. Your birds are getting up there in age. Especially if they're hatchery birds.

Time of the year. One of two things could be going on. Shorter days triggers a slow down in egg laying. And Fall is a popular time to start a molt. Look for more than the usual feathers laying around. Some drop them in one place, others leave a trail.
Ours are moulting here now and virtually no eggs from the girls who haven't had the implant. I did assume it maybe change of weather and moult.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts