The moult

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by markhorsley68, Oct 9, 2012.

1. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Hi,could someone let me know how long I can expect the moult to last?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

I think that will last 1-2 months.Is important to feed protein to the hens at this period

3. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Thanks for that Dan,how would I go about increasing their protein intake?..they get layers pellets supplemented with wheat as and when they need it..is that enough?

4. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

You can buy a bag of Grow feed. It's the one between the medicated chick starter and layer feed. It has a higher protein content. You can also buy some cat food and toss them a couple of handfuls and even sunflower seeds as well.

Every chicken molts differently. Some go in the coop just fine and come out the next morning half plucked and then slowly grow their feathers and some just drop one at a time as they go. Some are quick and some are still half naked when the snow flys!!

5. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

Roslyn has already answered you correctly. But also you said good.
    Then if hens have enough space to graze,they find insects that help the intake of protein.I, however, rule out cat food.I personally don't feed my hens with these kind of protein

6. markhorsley68

markhorsley68 New Member

Thanks for the input Roslyn and Dan,they graze a 900 sq ft enclosure that's in the middle of a wood so they get quite a lot of insects to feed on..I a
    So keep ferrets and their food is super high in protein so at a push I could add a small amount of this to their food if they need a boost.
    Thanks again.

7. Italy-Dan

Italy-Dan New Member

Is a pleasure help those who need it :)

8. profwirick

profwirick Yaya

We are having temps in the teens and lower and rather suddenly(over for days) my healthiest hen dropped a pillow's worth of feathers...all kinds. Poor Bartlett looks naked and she shivers. I'm worried she will get sick. Is there a to-do?

Love, Gratitude and Peace, Mary

9. leviparker

leviparker New Member

Look up molt muffins. There are recipes to make high protein foods for chickens. Also scrambling eggs is a good protein for them.

10. hellofromtexas

hellofromtexas New Member

Mealworms can help too. They are full of rich protein and they love them. :)