Chicken Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Update on the chased bird.

I think I understand something about the chase now. Remember the two females joined the bird being chased? Well, they're still with him and the rest of the flock is leaving him be.

It appears that the Chase involves who the females pick to have as a mate.
All about selection!

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I hate Guineas!!!

I was working in the garage trying to figure out how to get the new tractor in there. And doing other stuff when I realized it's just a bit too quiet. It's about like having little kids. When they get quiet radar goes off.

Luckily it wasn't raining at the moment. I walked around a bit listening. Then called. They answered which immediately ticked me off. I knew where they were and it meant a half mile walk back into the woods with the wind whipping and causing deadfall or dead trees dropping.

I went and watched for trouble. Finally got to where they were, all in the trees with a dog keeping vigil. This is the third time. The dog runs off, I tell them to get down and start moving away. At which point they all fly down and head for home.

And to top everything else off, their pen flooded we had so much rain. I've never had that happen before and the Guineas are not pleased.

So, I've changed out of wet clothes twice today now. I think the water is going to drain before lockdown and maybe things will get quiet again.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
I hate Guineas!!!

I was working in the garage trying to figure out how to get the new tractor in there. And doing other stuff when I realized it's just a bit too quiet. It's about like having little kids. When they get quiet radar goes off.

Luckily it wasn't raining at the moment. I walked around a bit listening. Then called. They answered which immediately ticked me off. I knew where they were and it meant a half mile walk back into the woods with the wind whipping and causing deadfall or dead trees dropping.

I went and watched for trouble. Finally got to where they were, all in the trees with a dog keeping vigil. This is the third time. The dog runs off, I tell them to get down and start moving away. At which point they all fly down and head for home.

And to top everything else off, their pen flooded we had so much rain. I've never had that happen before and the Guineas are not pleased.

So, I've changed out of wet clothes twice today now. I think the water is going to drain before lockdown and maybe things will get quiet again.
This is the first year, I've had so much water in the runs, the ground is saturated and cannot hold any more water.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Unfortunately my pen is in a spot where runoff wants to go. I think what I'm going to have to do is let it run in a trench through the pen and out the other side. It's about the only thing that would work without building the ground up. Which would probably cause a whole different problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,154 Posts
Unfortunately my pen is in a spot where runoff wants to go. I think what I'm going to have to do is let it run in a trench through the pen and out the other side. It's about the only thing that would work without building the ground up. Which would probably cause a whole different problem.
I haven't had success with building the ground up much.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So, I thought your statement about the trench was very reasonable so a couple of days ago, I got it done. I also had to totally clean out the small bird pen. I hadn't realized it had flooded as much as it did.

That said. I was in the city today. I left the Guineas out but with trepidation. I came home and silence. Then I heard a voice. I called and all sorts of hollering started. I could tell they were in the trees. I came in changed clothes, went right back out and called. This time I could tell they were on the ground and heading my way but they were beyond upset.

When they finally made an appearance there was only five. Not good, not good at all and was the reason they were so upset. They wouldn't get quiet enough for me to listen for more voices so I gave up and went around the house to move the tractor when I spotted the rest of the flock.

I don't know how they got separated or why. I haven't done a head count but it's more than five now and Baby is safe.

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
They got themselves caught in a ringer again.

I forgot to do the headcount. Darn it.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts