Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These five keep the flock in turmoil, especially when they're in their pen. I've figured out workarounds to allow the others to eat their morning breakfast without these idiots tearing into everyone.

But one of the gang is limping. Has been for the better part of two weeks. I've noticed the limp gets really bad when he's out and about.

Isolating won't work with Guineas. When removed from the flock they stress excessively, pace back and forth which does nothing to help the limp.

Right now I'm separating him from the four and leaving him with a couple of others in the pen. If this doesn't help then I'm going to have to call my vet to see if she'll see him. Catching him is going to be a trip I'm not looking forward to.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
These five keep the flock in turmoil, especially when they're in their pen. I've figured out workarounds to allow the others to eat their morning breakfast without these idiots tearing into everyone.

But one of the gang is limping. Has been for the better part of two weeks. I've noticed the limp gets really bad when he's out and about.

Isolating won't work with Guineas. When removed from the flock they stress excessively, pace back and forth which does nothing to help the limp.

Right now I'm separating him from the four and leaving him with a couple of others in the pen. If this doesn't help then I'm going to have to call my vet to see if she'll see him. Catching him is going to be a trip I'm not looking forward to.
I would imagine that the Guineas do not make the greatest patients.

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not in the least. Ten years ago I had one I described as having an exploding eye. Incredibly inflamed and swollen. My setup then was better for isolating them. I would catch her, lay her on her back in my lap, inject her with antibiotics and treat her eye. She made a full recovery.

This other? If it's bumble there just isn't any way I can handle that. But I don't see swelling in the foot so I don't think that's it. He might do well with an anti inflammatory but that's going to take a vet to determine.

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Luckily I'm in a position to have them for my own personal pleasure. Although that sounds not quite right since they can be such a challenge.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Yeah, that's not going to happen. Luckily I'm in a position to have them for my own personal pleasure. Although sounds not quite right since they can be such a challenge.
They cause you, er, I mean bring you so much personal pleasure!

Reactions: robin416

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, they're rockin' on this morning. I walk outside and see the Chase going on between two birds. Totally normal for establishing who's the higher bird and something I haven't seen in ages. It can be fascinating to see it come about.

Anyway, what didn't make sense is that the whole flock is in turmoil. Screaming, buckwheating non stop. That's when they come out of the woods and I realize the entire flock is after the one bird. Now that isn't normal. At first I worried it was Baby but no, it wasn't.

I'm working and watching. When I see several females follow Baby into the woods. OK, that's fine they didn't bother him. What was noticeable is that when the flock ran the one into the woods they all settled down until it came back out then the whole thing started over.

Something ain't right with this.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
Well, they're rockin' on this morning. I walk outside and see the Chase going on between two birds. Totally normal for establishing who's the higher bird and something I haven't seen in ages. It can be fascinating to see it come about.

Anyway, what didn't make sense is that the whole flock is in turmoil. Screaming, buckwheating non stop. That's when they come out of the woods and I realize the entire flock is after the one bird. Now that isn't normal. At first I worried it was Baby but no, it wasn't.

I'm working and watching. When I see several females follow Baby into the woods. OK, that's fine they didn't bother him. What was noticeable is that when the flock ran the one into the woods they all settled down until it came back out then the whole thing started over.

Something ain't right with this.
I wonder what is going on!

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And it gets stranger. The bird was hiding in the woods when two females approached. They didn't bother him but he moved away at first. Eventually those three and one other male moved off into the woods.

I've locked the others up so those four aren't being bothered for the moment.

I'm on my way back outside now to see what other oddities are occurring.

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
And it gets stranger. The bird was hiding in the woods when two females approached. They didn't bother him but he moved away at first. Eventually those three and one other male moved off into the woods.

I've locked the others up so those four aren't being bothered for the moment.

I'm on my way back outside now to see what other oddities are occurring.
Strange happenings in the woods!

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
A good title for a movie about scary goings on in the woods!

·
Super Moderator
3,649 Posts
I hope things improve today.

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I let about half out before I left this morning so things were quieter or maybe not. There's an awful lot of feathers all over the inside of the Guinea pen.

Right now they're all out. So far so good.

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on the chased bird.

I think I understand something about the chase now. Remember the two females joined the bird being chased? Well, they're still with him and the rest of the flock is leaving him be.

It appears that the Chase involves who the females pick to have as a mate.

·
Wonderful Friend
1,393 Posts
Maybe they're trying to see if the male is faster than them, in which case could be better offspring and/or protection for them? Never know and I wouldn't know a thing other than a guess in the dark!

·
Administrator
20,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's entirely possible. I've had them for years and never realized that this could be the outcome.

Or course when you've got a huge flock like I had before it's harder to notice the subtleties of Guinea behavior.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts