The Emergence

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by TomC, May 20, 2020.

1. TomC

TomC Active Member

I got the run secure enough to let the girls out today, finally. here is their emergence from the coop.

It took about 5 minutes before the first one, a barred rock, stepped out onto the ramp, then another 5 minutes before she stepped onto the ground for the first time. Slowly, one by one, they started coming out until about half of them made it before it was time to go back in for the night. Tomorrow, I will let them out first thing in the morning and let them have free run for the whole day. Hopefully, all of them will eventually make it out sometime during the day.

The ones that made it out seemed to thoroughly enjoy themselves, running, jumping around, eating green stuff, scratching, etc., all under the watchful eye of Supervisor Pooh.

The last pic is "Speedy". He made several appearances, but that was the farthest he ever ventured out.

IMG_0994.JPG IMG_0998.JPG IMG_1005.JPG IMG_1008.JPG IMG_1024.JPG IMG_1033.JPG IMG_1050.JPG IMG_1049.JPG IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1047.JPG IMG_1052.JPG

Mistizoom likes this.
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I love that next to last pic.

I loved the pics. What did they do when you opened that little door?

And the question of the day is, how did you get them back in?

Mistizoom likes this.

3. TomC

TomC Active Member

It was comical at first. When I opened the door, they all ran over there, crowded around it, then peered out from about 6 inches away. It was like they were trying to decide who was going to be first. Like I said, it took about 5 minutes before the first one actually stuck her head through.

Getting them back in wasn't too bad. It had started sprinkling a bit so several of them had started to wander back in. Then I went in and rattled the feed can and filled the feeders, that brought more in. There were about 15 still out, so my grand-daughter and I corralled them towards the door, some went on in, some I picked up and set in. Then... there was this one little Golden Duckwing Phoenix hen... She was convinced that she was not ready to go to bed... and damn is she fast.

Mistizoom likes this.
  4. robin416

LOL There is always one in the crowd. Good thing you had your grand daughter there to give you a hand.

It sounds like they're not having any real issue with the ramp. How did you get that lucky?

5. TomC

TomC Active Member

She's pretty good help when it comes to the chickens, she loves them.

We did have another problem child though. Do you remember me telling about the little buff Silkie that snuck through the coop door when I had the water hose ran through it? Well, of course, she was one of the first ones, and the only Silkie, to come outside. After about 10 minutes I happened to look over and there she was, outside the fence. She had ducked under the gate, I left it a little high so I could pour the concrete. So I ran out and chased her back in, I then put some leftover chicken wire in the gap and went back to watching the other girls. Five minutes later, you guessed it, she was outside again. The little turd had wriggled her little fuzzy butt around the chicken wire and out she went. I gathered her back up and put her inside the coop, readjusted the chicken wire, and damned if she wasn't already coming down the ramp by the time I got to the back of the coop.

She has now been named Houdini. I can see that this one is going to be a challenge.

6. robin416

I love that bird. Every coop needs one like her. She just might end up like my little Dwarf, she was always in to something, in something, investigating something. She was a joy to have around.

7. TomC

TomC Active Member

She is fun to watch. She always seems to be running around doing her own thing. She is probably the smallest bird I have, but she doesn't take guff off any of them. I've seen her stand up to some of the biggest ones when they try to push her around. She stands right up, puffs her chest out, stretches that neck, and goes right back at them.

8. robin416

That was Dwarf. I loved that tiny bird. I'm jealous because it sounds like you have one with that special personality.

You'll have to be careful though, she will get herself into places she shouldn't be.

TomC likes this.
  9. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

That is so amazing, I'm in awe and tbh...a lot jealous haha, I want to have that many chickens

TomC likes this.
  10. TomC

TomC Active Member

I did something today that a few may not like, but I did it anyway. There was a group of about 20 girls that just wouldn't come out of the coop. They would peek through the door, then go back in. This afternoon, the sun finally came out of the clouds and I decided that everyone needed a little sunshine. So, I flushed everyone out of the coop and closed the door. Some of them were very unhappy about it, a few of them sat at the top of the ramp, one even kept pecking at the door. But, after about 15 minutes or so, everybody was out running around doing normal chicken stuff. Around 6:30, the time I normally feed them, I opened up the door and filled the feeders. They started slowly filtering back in, but nobody seemed to be in a hurry. Last night, that was the time I corralled everybody back in. I decided, this evening, to wait until closer to dark and see how many would go in on their own. Around 7:45 I went back out and all but about 20 were inside. I sat out there with them until there were only a couple left then picked them up and sat them on the ramp, they went right in. The funniest part was that a few of the ones that made the biggest fuss about being flushed out, were some of the last ones back in.

While I was sitting out there waiting for the last few to go in, I made a new friend. One of the little white Silkies came over and was pecking around at my shoes, so I picked her up, for some reason, my Silkies don't seem to like to be picked up. She squawked for a few seconds, then decided she kind of liked being petted. After a few minutes, she must have decided that she really liked being petted, because she started making the cutest noise. It was kind of like a purring or snoring, but in a high pitched, chirpy kind of way. She was more than content to just sit on my lap, get petted, and purr away.

Something new with these guys every day.

Sylie likes this.
  11. robin416

I know you're pointing at me. What I want to know is why is it so important that they can't choose when to go out on their own? Was some big project waiting on them being out of the building? No, the human was more than likely impatient to have them all out.

Now you know what people are talking about when they mention their lap chickens.

12. TomC

TomC Active Member

Your probably right, I do the same thing with the grandkids. When it's nice outside, I make them go outside and play. I much prefer that they get fresh air and sunshine, than to sit inside the house and watch tv or play video games. I'm just an ass.:)

13. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I think you did the right thing, they'll get the hang of things but sometimes Daddy needs to give them some "direction". Tough love! They'll figure it out, it was just the first day.