Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am gathering that many of you have dogs... I have a pile and was curious as to what you all had for pups, what breeds/mixes, how old? names??? in other words ....

tell me about your pups... and how do they like your chickens??

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Dogs...

LOVE my chickens 'way too much. For a breed that's supposed to be so sedentary and just plain lazy, my Bulldogs can really move when a chicken is involved! Luckily, we had room to double fence the dogs away from the coops.
I have 3 bullies, 7 year old Ricky, my neutered Champion, 6 /12 year old Sparkle, a pointed, spayed little girl, and Luna, my current show dog. I also have recently rescued Buttons, a 3 year old French Bulldog who will be spayed soon. She came from a high-volume breeder who let her labor for over 24 hours before having a c-section, then let her develop mastitis which required a mastectomy and separation from the pups. Owner couldn't afford surgery bill, so she signed the poor mama over to the vet, who notified me. I don't know what happened to the nearly 2 week old pups, but it couldn't have been good.
Sorry to go on, but I'm passionate about abuse of animals.:mad:

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I have 1, a Pointer/**** mix named Wilbur. He was a rescue from an abusive home and is about 3 years old. We've had him for a year. Before him we had a Basset / Beagle mix named Joe, he died of old age at 14 years old. He was a rescue also from a shelter, we was bout 5 years old when we got him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have 3 chihuahuas and a pom/chi mix. Mine don't usually mess with the chickens at all but the chickens are bigger than them lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lots of legs around here. We have a rescued horse that was abandoned and starving, 3 FIV positive cats from various no-kill shelters that were to be euthanised, and many dogs. 5 Wolfdogs of various percentages and other "normal" dogs.

Venus, our 99% F1 Timberwolf/Husky. Khan, our 77% F2 Timberwolf/Malamute. Micah, our 75% F4 Arctic Wolf/Malamute. Nyx, our 25% F4+ Grey Wolf/Husky. Damon, our 97% F2 Timberwolf/Shepherd. Taka, our awesome little Black and Tan Shiba Inu. Dulce, our sweet but protective Belgian Malinois, Scooby, our pit/lab/boxer shelter delight, and TyDy our sweet little red brindle Pit. My wife and I work in rescue and run a boarding/training facility so we always have others going through the revolving doors.
Nyx and Damon were both feral, we were called to capture them before the municipalities could (they would have been euthanised). Nyx is now an ambassador that works with me for young person outreach and education about wolves. Damon is still semi feral, and not likely to change much. Standing 35 inches at the withers and with canines 1 1/4 inches long, we don't really push him to be social...just trying to keep him happy and content at his 10+years old. Khan and Micah were rejected by their origional owners when the owners realised they bit off way more than they could chew. Only Venus was gotten from a breeder, we were really interested in working with a basically pure Wolfdog...now she is one of the most loving and lyal companions I have ever met dog or exotic :)

We also have a couple dogs up for adoption, Conan is a 3 year old purebred Boxer that we did a long term medical/behavioral foster for another rescue that lacks the resources, and we just took in a semi feral Husky that was up for euthanasia from a small rural shelter.

Lots of work but very rewarding!!!

·
Banned
139 Posts
purebred Rottweilers and a little Shih Tzu named Pepper.
they dont care about the chickens but would eat them if given the chance.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't know what kind this is, but she wound up on out front step 2 nights ago. Some type of hound. Any ideas?

Can't get the picture up. Will try again later.

·
16 Posts
2 Cocker Spaniels that are in the pen with the chickens. They were there first LOL They do not bother the chickens at all. As a matter of fact they will all lay together in the shade. OH and a house chihuahua.

·
39 Posts
I have 2 dogs there names are duke and ellie. They don't know what to think about the chickens. Like one time one chicken got away a they both run up and started sniffing them and licking them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have one 10/mo Australian Shepherd and one 8/yo Weimaraner. Aussie was from a breeder and weim was from a rescue. Their names are jasper and bailey . :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have 6 dogs. One Great Pyrenees, one Malamute, one Bichon Frise, one Chihuahua, two Miniature Dachshunds. The Chihuahua goes back with the chickens all the time. The only time she bothers them is if I am trying to catch one and she does her best to help me corral it. The two Miniature Dachshunds go back occasionally and don't bother the chickens. The rest would eat them if given the slightest opportunity. The Great Pyrenees has never bothered them but she did kill some of my geese. I had to put underground fence in around my back yard (which is the chicken yard) to keep the Bichon Frise and the Malamute from digging under and killing chickens. After 6 months or so of having to stay back from the fence, they no longer bother the fence with the collars and fence off. We took the collars off and shut the fence down a year ago. Glad it worked, it came down to getting rid of the chickens, getting rid of the dog (the Malamute was the major issue), or using the underground fence/collars.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We have a 3 year old pure bred Doberman. We keep our chickens in a run so he can't get them, but I think he would tear them up playing with them if given the chance! He loves to buzz the fence line and scare them. Such a meany :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts