Test hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by mitzy123point, Mar 26, 2020.

1. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I set 48 eggs today in my new incubator for a test hatch! It had good reviews but was on the cheaper side but it was all I had available at the time so interested to see how well it works! It is an aceshin if anyone has any experience with this brand I would love to hear about it!
    But here are the eggs I think I have 9 bbs ameraucanas
    5 Easter eggers
    10 dull spearmint
    13 barnyard mixes (cochin, Rhode Island Red, barnevelder and austrawhite all covered by a black ameraucana, so more Easter eggers)
    3 welsummer ameraucanas
    And 8 olive eggers (marans ameraucanas)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I've never heard of it but then I've been out of hatching for a while. Even the cheapest incubators can be successful if the instruments used to measure temp and humidity is a high accuracy.

So, 3/25 is set day? And what the heck are you doing up at 3AM?

mitzy123point likes this.

3. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Just couldn’t sleep I hope I have a good success! I could really use the chick snuggles

4. robin416

You do know there's this addiction called hatching chicks. I can not tell you how many times someone would say they're done and next thing you know, they've got more in the bator. So, be prepared.

Some had it so bad they'd hatch for others just so they could hatch chicks.

5. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Lol that’s the plan I breed ameraucanas and my Broodys haven’t been keeping up with orders this year

6. robin416

Now the truth comes out. :)

7. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

I have a limit on how many birds I'm allowed to have and I'm not allowed roosters so I have never hatched chicks but I'm telling you, I would give my right arm to do it. I think it is the most interesting thing and I love to see the zipping and hear the little tiny peeps inside there (I watch videos lol). Someday, I swear, I will live where I can hatch! Mark my words! lol (I think I'm addicted and haven't even done it yet! Is there a support group for people like me?)

8. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

It’s definitely an addiction I did one incubator hatch last year and then the incubator crapped out when I let someone borrow it (it was an older incubator) and then I had two broody hatches now I need so many more!!

9. robin416

Yeah, it's called Chicken Forum. :p

Sylie and mitzy123point like this.
  10. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Now I’m worried! I got two humidity and temperature gages to put inside and none of the three have the same reading for humidity or temperature!

11. robin416

What are you using?

12. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I bought these on amazon and they were suggested for incubators. I’m praying the incubator reader is correct, the temperature gages are reading 99.5 on the incubator, 97 for one and 90 for the other one. Humidity is 50 on the incubator, 64 on one and 55 on the other [​IMG]

13. robin416

14. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

Thank you! False alarm turned out I forgot to calibrate the new gages all is good now! All 3 match almost exactly (give or take a few points)

15. Sylie

Fantastic!! I'm so glad you got it figured out. Good luck with the hatch and pictures pictures pictures for us incubatorless followers! :D

robin416 and mitzy123point like this.
  16. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I’ll post pictures whenever I candle!! I’m so excited!! What days does everyone candle?!?
    I typically do day 5,10, and lock down. I did do a little candle today when I was freaking out about the humidity and all being off but the two I did (day 2) looked like they were progressing!
    Here is a fresh egg[​IMG]
    And one of the two from the incubator [​IMG]
    And the other one[​IMG]
    Ive noticed if you can see the yolk clear by day two that is usually a good sign but this is only about my 5th time candling an egg under 5 days

17. robin416

OH boy, there's going to be chick pics soon.

18. Sylie

I'm so excited!! Thank you for these pics. What you said about the yolk being seen by day 5, I have no real experience but I candle an egg every now and then, just for kicks, I have no rooster so there will never be anything to see but just for fun, I give it a try. The eggs that I candle are always that day's eggs so they are never more than 1 day old and I have never seen the yolk so you may be onto something. I also never see those spots that are on the last 2 pics.
    I don't know why I feel the need to candle non fertile eggs lol maybe I'm secretly hoping for a virgin/miracle birth hahaha!

19. mitzy123point

mitzy123point Member

I love candling eggs! I like to do it when I sell eggs cause you can sometimes see meat spots ahead of time, and most customers don’t know what the heck they are I am gonna pull one of the eggs from the pictures out to see the progress and I’ll post pictures soon! I’m thinking I will be fully candling tomorrow depending on the progress of this one tonight! It’s usually around day 5 I can see veins!

Sylie likes this.