Teeny Tiny Egg

Discussion in 'Egg Quality & Storage' started by Caveman420, May 12, 2020.

1. Caveman420

Caveman420 New Member

While our hens have laid normal sized cackleberries we recently we got one that was teeny tiny. What’s that about?

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I think it's Sylie that's had that happen in the past. She said something about coming out of a molt.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

it's normal :) they will do that from time to time, usually it's because they are coming out of molt but not always, sometimes their mechanics just have the setting turned down or something lol. As long as they return to normal size after awhile, it's fine. Let us know if she continues to lay teeny eggs but my guess is the next one or the one after that will be normal sized. Is she molting by the way? Spring is here after all

4. robin416

Something I just thought about, what about age? Does that happen more often as they get older?

5. Caveman420

Caveman420 New Member

There is a bunch more feathers about the place. Thank you. I think we are starting on our third year with these four hens and have been thinking about getting more. My fear is in regard to the new ones being pecked on by the older ones. How extensive and lengthy does a separation period need to be? We are somewhat tight on space.

I do deeply appreciate your assist. After many head traumas I deal so much better with real humans.

6. robin416

There is no set time period for how long. It's really up to the birds. I could plunk new Silkies into my flock and none of them thought a thing about it. That's pretty unusual but probably more about the breed.

Depending on how old the birds are that you're getting and have the space in the coop you can set up a large cage for smaller birds. Or divide off your coop temporarily.

Uh, really? Dealing with humans is easier? Tell me your secret.

7. Caveman420

Caveman420 New Member

Thanking you. Been trying to picture how to divide the space. Coop is a pier mounted stand up X 4’ X 8’ with pop out nesting boxes. Run is also standup X 8’ish X 10’ish dome chicken wire with walls buried 1’ and panels around blocking ground critter sight line.

Avoiding most humans at all cost thus my hermits existence is my method of sanity. When choosing AI, interweb or long distance chatting the later wins. Thanking you a million or until you’re better paid.

Paul.

8. robin416

You want the new girls where the others can see and hear them. But in describing your coop size, I don't think you have enough room to be adding more. You missed a digit in the size dimensions so I can't be sure.

I'm home as much as I can be which is most of the time. But that doesn't prevent me from going rambo on dumbness from time to time.

Paid? Who gets paid for this other than seeing all the great pics of birds and their housing. And getting a bit silly with the other forum members.

9. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

You are definitely in good company here, we love helping people from all ends of the chicken raising scale, brand new chicken owners all the way up to folks that have had chickens their whole lives, we all learn from each other.

Like Robin said, our only pay (and in my opinion, the best pay in the world) is helping and seeing the pictures of everyone's birds. We are volunteers that get paid in smiles :D

robin416 likes this.