Chicken Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking around a few weeks posting here and there and I figured I should introduce myself formally. I am a mom of 2 awesome boys and the wife to a wonderful man. Out family is just starting out in the chicken adventure. My husband was raised around chickens. It is my first experience and a first for my kids. We live in a rural subdivision here in the great state of NC. Our summers are hot & humid (90-100s) and our winters are cold (30-40s) with very infrequent snowfall.

We built our tractor/coop and lost a few babies along the way ( neighbors dog escaped and made breakfast out of them). One lone survivor roo baby made it and he was re-named BearGrylls (due to his survival skills). After tears and sweat we have re vamped the coop and still have our new little babies in our garage.

We have 7 pullets.
4 Dominique's
1 Golden laced Wyandotte
1 Black sex link
1 Rhode Island Red

And 3 buff Orpington on the way this week.
And one spoiled miniature schnauzer (who is now properly groomed LOL).

Attachments

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ReTIRED said:
WELCOME from New Mexico !
( My Father was a TARHEEL ! -Polk County )
Thanks ReTIRED! I'm in Randolph Co. My oldest son is a scout and is wanting to trek Philmont out there in NM!

·
Banned
825 Posts
Thanks ReTIRED! I'm in Randolph Co. My oldest son is a scout and is wanting to trek Philmont out there in NM!
Philmont Scout Ranch: http://philmontscoutranch.org/About.aspx

That "place" is about the same Latitude here in New Mexico as am I. However...
It is on the Eastern Side of New Mexico...I'm near the Western Border.....
....about 350 miles away. ( BIG State )
:)
-ReTIRED-

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's my 5 yr old wearing gloves. When we got the chicks he was scared that they would peck him. The gloves were his idea (he said they wouldn't peck if they didnt see his skin. LOL
The first 2 photos are of me holding the chicks (no gloves).
Go figure.... The mind of a child
:)

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@ Jim -I am glad to report though that he is now a "professional chick-catcher & holder" WITHOUT the gloves.
And he once had a fear of bugs..... He will now dig through a tub of mealworms like it was a tub of candy! LOL

@ Fuzziebutt- thanks!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
freddao said:
@ Jim -I am glad to report though that he is now a "professional chick-catcher & holder" WITHOUT the gloves.
And he once had a fear of bugs..... He will now dig through a tub of mealworms like it was a tub of candy! LOL

@ Fuzziebutt- thanks!
Woooo hooooo!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts