Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chickens free range during the day, but have a supply of chicken feed whenever they want it. The other day I was watching out of the window and watched as my rooster got into the compost bin and started eating some moldy bread I had put in there. Then the hens all got excited and ran over to help. I'm just wondering If I were to feed them some of our food once in awhile what would be okay and what should I stay away from?

As for treats...I found some worms a bit ago and my hens became my best friends. Haha. But is there anything else that we have that would be yummy? I heard raisins once..?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good question to ask! I heard not to give them citrus, but I also wonder what else to stay away from. We compost as well, but most common it's food that has gone bad, and I don't want to give them that. I also give them most of the weeds from the garden. So far their favorite is watermelon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I found a list over on back yard chickens, and basically everything is fine except salty items and green potato skins.

Mine get whatever left overs we have from dinner. Because there's never enough to make another meal. I also buy frozen fruit and veggies, and give those during the heat of the day. Mine love strawberrys and corn.

Having issues getting layers to lay? Feed red pepper flakes. Bread and other carby things are good for weight. They love oatmeal and yogurt. Think spaghetti noodles are worms.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
My flock gets all the scraps. I have 3 kids so we always have scraps! My chickens favorite meal is spaghetti with sauce and garlic bread lol :)

As "treats" I buy a bunch of $1 frozen peas for the flock. Peas are my ducks favorite thing. I just thaw them in running water and hand feed them the peas.

·
Registered
387 Posts
My flock loves leftovers yesterday a friend gave me leftover chicken jambalaya 2 pounds worth. And between 12 birds they ate it all rice jalapeño chicken all gone

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine love grapes, hard boiled egg, watermelon, kale, cheese, and granola! Love to watch them run around playing keep away! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
valleychicks said:
My chickens free range during the day, but have a supply of chicken feed whenever they want it. The other day I was watching out of the window and watched as my rooster got into the compost bin and started eating some moldy bread I had put in there. Then the hens all got excited and ran over to help. I'm just wondering If I were to feed them some of our food once in awhile what would be okay and what should I stay away from?

As for treats...I found some worms a bit ago and my hens became my best friends. Haha. But is there anything else that we have that would be yummy? I heard raisins once..?
Our chickens eat all of our leftovers (even chicken!!). They have eaten leftover lasagna, fresh fruits and veggies, pizza crust, etc. when I am in the garden, they go with me in our chicken tractor and will eat the slugs in the garden. I will sometimes throw slugs in for them and oh how they run and fight over those fat slimy things!! Good protein!

At the beginning of spring, my neighbor was dumping out the water from the tarp on their pool. When all that water hit the grass, out came all,kinds of night crawlers! My 4 year old and I collected close to 30 night crawlers in a mason jar and fed them to our chickens. Fun times.

As for the compost: every spring when we are ready to out compost in the garden, I let the "girls" scratch through our compost first to get the bugs before amending our soil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a lot of frogs in our area my kids will catch the frogs and toss them into the coop my chickens love it I've been selective about what left overs I've been giving the chickens in part because be just got a blue lab rescue that needs to put on a couple pounds but after reading this I will start giving them more

·
Registered
1 Posts
My flock gets all the fruit/veg parings, left over potatoes and rice, bread, rolls, cakes that are ready to go, leftover plain spaghetti, oatmeal, garden stuff that isn't good for human consumption, like corn that hasn't grown to full size. I'd say their favorite is watermelon, with spaghetti coming in a close second.

·
Registered
1 Posts
scraps and left overs

I give all the peelings, rinds and left overs from watermelon canalope, oatmeal, bread, egg shells, beans peas, cucumbers, I read that potatoes were not good because they are hard to digest but when they are mashed I throw them in also. I worry about grapes and rasins because we have outside dogs and they can be very dangerous for the dogs if the chickens don't get them. My chickens are free range but I do keep scratch gains and seeds in the chicken house where the pymgy goats can't get them. Plus plenty of fresh water for them. Love my chickens

·
Registered
630 Posts
I give mine all of my family's leftovers. They will eat almost anything, lol. If you have potato peelings then you have to boil them first though. We have a bread store in our town and they have big bags of expired bread for $3.99. We buy that and brake it up in our scraps and make it a mush. They love it! Also, I know this sounds gross, but we feed ours mice. We catch them in the barn sometimes and toss them in the pen and they gobble them up. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
i give my chickens a lot of thigs and if they dont eat it you'll know its not their favorite or they dont like it mine get water melon and old bread regularly and they really love cabbage i take a head and hang it by a rope in their pen and they go to town its fun to watch i githem just about anything except meats

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My girls get all our left overs, stale bread, wilty greens, watermelon rinds, whatever I'm not going to eat and I am guilty of feeding them pasta one day when the car broke and I ran out of actual feed. SIGH. Funny thing though they all hate carrots. My Seramas are finally coming around and eating whatever I give them. Took them a bit. They played in the pile of mashed potatoes but didn't eat it. Finally won out with watermelon a couple days ago when the temps spiked to 90 something degrees. Not the greatest pic (was too bright out for my phone. LoL) but it's still cute.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm worried my chickens won't eat it. I tried scraps once and they didn't eat any of it...it wasn't until I got the rooster that they started eating what he was eating in the compost. Are scraps okay for chicks (8 weeks)?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm worried my chickens won't eat it. I tried scraps once and they didn't eat any of it...it wasn't until I got the rooster that they started eating what he was eating in the compost. Are scraps okay for chicks (8 weeks)?
I would think so. We feed ours scraps from day 1. They won't eat it if it's to big, but if they can fit it in their beaks then they'll eat it. (at least mine do anyway) :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
lilmikeb said:
This is watermelon and a mix of hotdogs pineapple grapes green olives pickles and its a bit hard to see but corn on the cob
Cool! Mine LOVE corn on a cob! And watermelon and macaroni!

The only things I don't feed them are avocados and potato peelings because I heard they were either poisonous or not good or them.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts