Swollen feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by nickygio, Dec 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. nickygio

nickygio New Member

Hi there, I have a Rhode Island Red whose feet appear to be swollen. she doesn't like to walk around, and when she does it looks awkward. She roosts alot. how could this have been caused? Is there anything that I could do? Any responses would be much appreciated.

2. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

The two things that cross my mind are heart/vascular disease and bumble foot. We need pics. That might give us a better idea of what's going on. We need views of the feet and the bottoms of the feet.

3. nickygio

nickygio New Member

Here are some pictures

Attached Files:

4. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Seems like the right foot is swollen but left foot is close to normal. Any recent trauma? How old is this hen?

5. nickygio

nickygio New Member

There is no trauma that I know of, I got her about two months ago, so she is about twenty months old. I'm not really sure when the swelling began though

6. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Look to see if she's banded. The bands may be too tight. That can cause feet to swell up.

7. nickygio

nickygio New Member

She is not banded on either foot

8. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Is it just the foot? Or the whole leg?

9. nickygio

nickygio New Member

It seems to be from the ankle down, not the whole leg

10. lorindaeb

lorindaeb Junior Member

Could it be gout?

11. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yes, it could be gout.

12. toybarons

toybarons I luv Polish & Houdans

I had a chicken who once had frostbite. After she thawed out, she seemed fine. Then 24 hours later, one of her feet swelled up to twice its normal size. I had no idea what to do. Someone told me that sometimes an abscess can form under the skin after frostbite. They recommeded having the foot lanced. It was the first operation I ever had to do on my own bird. I sterilized a needle and lanced it. There was some fluid in the foot, so I drained it the best I could. Then put some Polysporin on it with a bandaid. Within a few days, the foot went down to normal and the hen was walking normal.

I'm not saying that is going on with your bird. I found out later that sometimes just the bird jumping down on their foot can cause inner damage to the foot pad which can lead to swelling.

13. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I step on my chicken feet once in a while but they all around me when I go in the coop. I think they love me. I don't know if they have any feellings in there feet. They never hollar when I step on them. They just keep pulling trying to get their foot back

14. saybiodiesel

saybiodiesel New Member

Could it be the start of Blackfoot disease? I had two hens that had it they are both dead now. They both died before they were 3 years old.

15. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

I just looked this up and found a real nice artical on it.. It is Bumble foot You can take it to the VET or treat it yourself.

16. Josephkirk

Josephkirk New Member

Just google Bumblefoot in foul. They have several stories on it.

17. wyandotteboy

wyandotteboy New Member

this may sound stupid, but is it maybe from frequent landings made from flying of the roosts???

18. bunnymom

bunnymom New Member

I would suspect bumblefoot if there has been any wounds. Check her toes and "ankle" for anything that could be wrapped around like a thread or long hair. I have to keep an eye on my chickens because there is a lot of old twine that the get into when they are scratching. It can thread out and wrap around and cause swelling. Another thought is, has it been cold there, could she maybe have had a frostbite? In any case. after being sure there is no thread etc, I think I would soak her feet in some warm Epsom salt water for a little while dry them well and maybe rub in some antibiotic salve. Hope she recovers well.

19. craziegrannie

craziegrannie New Member

I don't know if chickens get arthritis, the one foot has a toe that looks like it is arthritic. Sort of bent and like I have seen in old human hands with arthritis.

20. kaufranc

kaufranc Junior Member

My rooster had bumblefoot. Is it warm to the touch? Is there a black scab somewhere on the pad of her foot?