Svart Hona Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubation & Hatching' started by Poultry Judge, Oct 13, 2020.

1. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I can see staying close to elderly parents. For the kids? Unless they're still in school not a chance. Kids move. I've got a friend who moved from out west to this side of the country to be near her son and wouldn't you know it, he moved for his work a few years later.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  2. Overmountain1

Overmountain1 Active Member

Tangent time!!
    Yeah- I have been telling them for years to travel when they graduate (while it’s easier) and to make sure they have a real skill that they can put to use whenever, even while traveling bc they can always earn money that way.
    I’m not sure I want them to go to college! I know that sounds nuts, and my family has all gone to at least some college.... but man! They’re not right anymore- if you don’t fall in line you can really have a hard time there. I’ll admit it, we are conservative- and colleges are not the place for them right now.... I hope they can go back to being simply open ended/minded. We shall see.
    Point being, I told them I may not be here forever either. I didn’t get to travel when I was younger and want to. I’ll be moving for sure!
    Tangent time over.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. robin416

I don't know if I posted this on the open forum or not but I've lived all over the country just because I could. I do not regret for a moment all of that moving. I got to experience a lot that can't be experienced staying locked into a known bubble.

You're not wrong OM, if they have the chance and are not afraid of change they can learn a great deal just with that experience.

There are community colleges. Very different from the university settings. There are trade schools, again not a university setting. I attended a community college and don't regret not getting some degree with a bunch of letters behind my name.

Poultry Judge and Overmountain1 like this.
  4. Overmountain1

Me too! I have a double Associates, and attended two different ones! Some here and some at Red Rocks in Denver. I did enjoy that time for sure. With my husband being the skilled worker he is with metal and gunsmithing, both the boys have a huge opportunity to learn that others do not. Whether they take advantage of that remains to be seen. My younger son has always ALWAYS wanted to be a farmer, but also have another job for himself. He’s turning 12- I wish I had things figured out as good as he does!! Lol
    My cousin is a diesel mechanic, his dad a master welder. There are always other ways to make your way in the world if you’re willing to work a little bit. And the $ is good and only getting better....

5. robin416

Lead by example is perfectly illustrated in your family's chosen fields. I was so frustrated when they kept pushing for university degrees and totally ignoring trade schools. If everyone went to a university who's going to do the things that trades people do? And learning a trade is so much more satisfying in the long term.

My hubs was a union carpenter. I learned a great deal from him.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  6. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

My kids are 27 and 24, I just want to encourage my daughter to do her own practice and not work for state governments like I did. Plus, I did a ton of travelling as a student and was a bit of a reluctant traveler. But I saw a lot of Europe, Africa and the East.

7. Overmountain1

Exactly! Skilled labor is so important! I grew up with a carpenter in the house as well... between us we can tackle pretty much anything!

Yes, truly, I want the kids to be what it is THEY want to be. Not what they think they should be, maybe not what I would want for them, but just for them, that makes them fulfilled. Fulfilling work is the best kind of work, whatever it is.

Poultry Judge and robin416 like this.
  8. robin416

Did you actually light anywhere for more than a pass through of the area?

9. Poultry Judge

I went to college at Trinity in Dublin for two years, one year conservatorship at Victoria & Albert in London, one year at the American School Cairo and I lived for two years in a monastery in Mongolia. Then I did a year and a half with Medicine Sans Frontier in Africa. The rest of it was passing through.

10. robin416

So you did have an opportunity to "live" in some of the places. Really get to experience them. And I'm guessing learning which you'd rather not return to.

The only other country I've lived in was Canada for a few months. Might as well be the US since there is very little difference between the two countries culture wise.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  11. Overmountain1

I would consider you having lived the other places as well, gen if ‘just’ for school. Very cool though! Very diverse education facilities, thanks for sharing!
    I played French horn years ago, and I still swear I’m going to buy one (soon) when I get older and start playing again. They’re just so pricey!! Stringed instruments have always intrigued me too- especially the cello. Violins are good too but a good cellist.... oh. They’re a beautiful instrument. Jmo.

12. Poultry Judge

I like Canada, you didn't consider staying there?

13. Poultry Judge

When I was at the Wallace Collection, I got to work on some Baroque cellos and that was very cool.

14. robin416

I was very middle of the road on staying there. I loved the country but it didn't have the opportunities for employment like the states did.

15. robin416

They still don't appear to have the good jobs. Many cross over from Windsor to Detroit and other environs for jobs.

16. Poultry Judge

The one on the left is a German Baroque cello I bought several years ago but haven't gotten around to restoring yet. The one on the right is a modern German cello from the Cleveland Youth Orchestra awaiting a new fingerboard and setup.
    Cellos.jpg