Super Blue chickens

Discussion in 'Breeds & Genetics' started by Sara Silver, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

Anyone had any experience with the super blue breed of chicken? I just found out about this breed, which supposedly produces large eggs in several shades of blue at the rate of about 5 wk... I've been looking for a blue egg-layer and doing my research for a while, so I was surprised to hear of this breed for the first time tonight when apparently, there have been many sold in the 2015, 2016 & 2017 seasons...

They sound almost too good to be true, which is why I'm looking for personal accounts from someone not trying to sell me one!

2. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

I've never heard of that strain I wouldn't buy EEs they don't consistently lay blue eggs at all but other than that I have no idea

Maryellen likes this.

3. Sara Silver

Sara Silver Member

I have one EE, my first chicken. So I was happy to have any color she produced and she is sweet to boot. I just got very lucky that she produces baby blue eggs. Of course since my husband found her first egg and told me he got a "mint green" egg, it took me a bit to realize she was laying blue. In fact, it was only when I compared her egg to the light, sage green of my cream legbar that I was sure. Still, I would like to have another hen who lays a deeper blue...

4. Steinwand

Steinwand Active Member

My EEs lay something like a white egg sprayed with the lightest green

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

I had an EE that laid pink eggs. The owner said they pass that on. Fun!

6. sarapaigec

sarapaigec New Member

I have 5 Super Blue females. They are all white with muffs and beard and a few have light flecks of color. They lay lots of large, light blue eggs and they are great mamas with a friendly personality. I will definitely be breeding some more this year. We were breeding French Black Copper Marans and Swedish Flowers but were're so happy with these Super Blues, that we'll be focusing on them.

Attached Files:

boskelli1571, Maryellen and Steinwand like this.
  7. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Sarapaigec. I've never seen these type of EE's. Thanks for posting pics and they are good looking birds.

8. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

They are really pretty and i love the color of their eggs