Chicken Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it ok to give my very spoiled chickens sunflower seeds that are still in the shell? My friend gave me the sunflower from her garden and I picked all the seeds out, so I want to give my chickens a treat.
:p

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
More times than not ... I toss the sunflower head into the lot and let them help themselves ...

But yes, sunflowers are fine.

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Sunflower seeds are high in protein, so I mix the black oil sunflower seed that I use in my bird feeders in with the girls' scratch, especially this time of year when they need more protein for the molt.

They pick out the sunflower seeds first, then the sorghum, then the wheat/rye and then the corn last. Sometimes the corn just lays there until they come back through and the corn is all that is there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sunflower seed post

Thanks so much for the replies to my sunflower question. They are very much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
very handy to know, i have loads of sunflowers in my garden so will try them with the chickens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've fed the sunflower seeds to mine they love them, I have also stopped off and picked them up a couple containers of millworms or crickets for a treat they go crazy over them..( who on earth would ever spoil a chicken?)

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Styrofoam, Blue foam board insulation, and the kicker was the plastic pellets from my son's pellet gun. THAT was funny to see them, re-usable in the little poo piles around the yard.
Yum.

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Yeah. He used to pick Christmas ornaments off the tree. That's we're he would get his doses off glass, pins, beads, ribbon and what not. Like I said, he was a doperman.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts