sunflower seeds

Discussion in 'General Chicken Discussion' started by nancygene, Sep 17, 2012.

Tags:
  1. nancygene

nancygene New Member

Is it ok to give my very spoiled chickens sunflower seeds that are still in the shell? My friend gave me the sunflower from her garden and I picked all the seeds out, so I want to give my chickens a treat.
    :p

2. Sundancers

Sundancers New Member

More times than not ... I toss the sunflower head into the lot and let them help themselves ...

But yes, sunflowers are fine.

3. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Sunflower seeds are high in protein, so I mix the black oil sunflower seed that I use in my bird feeders in with the girls' scratch, especially this time of year when they need more protein for the molt.

They pick out the sunflower seeds first, then the sorghum, then the wheat/rye and then the corn last. Sometimes the corn just lays there until they come back through and the corn is all that is there.

4. nancygene

nancygene New Member

sunflower seed post

Thanks so much for the replies to my sunflower question. They are very much appreciated.

5. rob

rob New Member

very handy to know, i have loads of sunflowers in my garden so will try them with the chickens.

6. Raven

Raven New Member

I've fed the sunflower seeds to mine they love them, I have also stopped off and picked them up a couple containers of millworms or crickets for a treat they go crazy over them..( who on earth would ever spoil a chicken?)

7. Buff_Rooster7503

Buff_Rooster7503 New Member

You about have to "try" to kill a chicken... I feed mine pretty much anything and i have no problems what so ever

8. sorrowsmiles

sorrowsmiles New Member

Yea my chicks have even eaten packing foam and cigarette filters and we thought they'd die but nope. They survived! LOL.

9. tigereyesblue76

tigereyesblue76 Member

LOL Ditto to the packing foam and cigarette filters, I thought the same...

10. Roslyn

Roslyn A Round American Woman

Styrofoam, Blue foam board insulation, and the kicker was the plastic pellets from my son's pellet gun. THAT was funny to see them, re-usable in the little poo piles around the yard.
    Yum.

11. rob

rob New Member

reading some of the stuff they have eaten, chickens seem pretty indestuctable lol

12. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

My stupid dog used to eat glass and pins. He was a Doperman.

13. rob

rob New Member

lol, i had a basset hound that used to rattle when it ran. after a trip to the vets she came out minus 6 metal ball bearings :)

14. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Yeah. He used to pick Christmas ornaments off the tree. That's we're he would get his doses off glass, pins, beads, ribbon and what not. Like I said, he was a doperman.