Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 week old cochin chick was stuck in the fence by her leg and wing now her leg sticks straight out could it be broke or just sore did not feel any broke bones but i am new at all this and now she is in the house by her self and she seems to be getting strong day by day we are going on day 3 and she is more active. but still not using that leg and advice?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
The only advice I can give is to keep watching it. If it gets bad I'd cull her, if it doesnt seem to bother her I'd let it go and see if it heals. She may have just sprained it . Time will tell.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
She may have pulled it out of place. Put a low dose aspirin in her water, and see if that helps her try to get around. If she puts weight on it, then it's just sore. If not, she may have pulled it out of place. There is a thread around here about someone putting a joint back in place, let me hunt it. I'll be right back...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do you have access to some Vet RX. You might try gently rubbing that on the area as well. The warmth that it would generate might help her naturally relocate her hip as well. Be sure to warm up the bottle of Vet RX per instructions. And I know I may sound like the little old chicken lady that I am. A Moist heating pad might also help her applied gently to that area. I haven't read the thread that fuzzie butt referred to that info may already be there. Good luck! Hope this helps and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it doesnt feel like iy is out of place but im no vet. she is puting a little weight on it now but it is still sticking straight out

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'd have headed to the vet right after it happened--if she was worth the time/money to me (or if I were attached to her). Having a leg that far out of whack isn't good, and an inability to pull it back under her indicates a dislocation or break, both of which really should be dealt with by a vet.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I'd have headed to the vet right after it happened--if she was worth the time/money to me (or if I were attached to her). Having a leg that far out of whack isn't good, and an inability to pull it back under her indicates a dislocation or break, both of which really should be dealt with by a vet.
Energyvet is a Vet, if you post a picture of the leg, she may be able to help! :D

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Wish I could put my hands on her. What if you take her both feet in your hand - a finger in between the feet - and gently held her upside down. I'm thinking gravity might just drop the hip back in the socket. If its too painful abandon and take to a vet.

·
Flocker
1,588 Posts
I'm thinking knee or foot the way the whole leg is straight. Even the toes are straight. Bless her heart. I wouldn't cull her, though. What kind of anti-inflammatories can she have, EV?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i did hold her upside down after it happen i didnt feel anything pop or anything. when she is sitting there i can push her leg in where it needs to be amd she will hold it there for a bit but then push it back out. she seems to be getting better tho

·
Premium Member
4,193 Posts
Try upside down again. Could be the initial trauma and tight muscles prevented any success. Glad she's feeling better though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so my Lil sour has been better for about 2 weeks and has been outside in the coop inside a small cage with everyone but when i let her out theres 2 chickens that chase her around and peck are her what can i do?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts