Chicken Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Such a disastrous, and heartbreaking afternoon yesterday. Two stray dogs massacred 95% of my Jersey Black Giant flock. These birds were more to me tan just chickens. They were my friends. So much work raising them, the eggs, the care, the love, it makes me so sad. I had 25.
3 had to be shot they were so maimed. I am so grateful to my family as everyone came to help. My poor brotherin law is who had to shoot, I couldn't do it. My nephew had to shoot one. My sister had to do the math, and hug me. The man who owns the dogs has agreed to pay restitution, but that doesn't give me back my birds, or my friends. Just so sad. People need to keep their Damn dogs home. I will pick up the pieces and start over, and make new friends. I will also add the Great Pyrenees. This just can't happen again. :((

:(

·
172 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. :(
Great Pyrenees are great dogs. I've had a couple. Really cute when they accept the flock as their own. They do have a dark side however, like keeping you awake all night woofing every 5 minutes 30 feet from your bedroom throughout the night. You can hear the coyotes making their nightly trek into town for catfast every evening. But they steer wide of our place.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, and I can relate as we had a similar situation, except it was our own dog who opened our latched coop. Again, I'm sorry.

·
67 Posts
I would look into your local laws about these kinds of things. Then if it was allowed I would have a rifle ready to take the dogs out before they did it again. It's no different then a grain farmer being allowed to shoot troublesome deer off of their crops. You would merely be protecting your property. If it is legal then be sure to let your neighbor know that you won't let it happen again. Is the neighbor going to repay you for all the feed required to get the new chicks laying again and also for your eggs until they start laying again?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know how heart breaking your loss is, Tina.
I too have been forced to shoot maimed hens, and it's a hurtful thing.
Since we enclosed our chicken area with 6 foot tall chainlink fence we have not lost a single bird.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Did law enforcement get involved?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts