Strange evening behaviour

Discussion in 'Behavior & Flock Management' started by fourpekins, Aug 2, 2012.

1. fourpekins

fourpekins New Member

Hi!
    I have 4 pekin bantams all about 11 weeks old, and have had them since they were 6 weeks. One of my hens, Doris, displays some unusual behaviour before she goes to roost. She has been doing this since about a week after we got them all and whilst I am not concerned about it at this point I just wanted to know if there was a reason for such behaviour, or if anyone else had seen the same thing :)
    She is fine going into the coop during the day but when it gets to evening and the other 3 go in to roost she gets quite agitated and calls to them loudly but they normally don't call back. She will then go into the nest box and call them before coming back out again. She will then usually jump onto the coop roof and call them again. If me or someone is sitting on a garden chair she will jump on our laps and be a bit quieter and usually sit there making a sort of 'soft whining noise'. She will sit there for about 5-10 minuets before getting off and finally going to roost. If we put her into the nest box she will usually come out again so we usually leave her to go in by herself. The other hens are happy to go to bed and as Doris is the top hen I'm not worried about bullying but I do wonder why she behaves this way.
    Thanks for any help
    Tess :)

2. rob

rob New Member

mine have started coming into the house at dusk and roosting on the dining chairs, i have to carry them to the coop !

3. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

Are you sure she's a hen? Could it be she's night blind? Just guessing here.

4. fourpekins

fourpekins New Member

I'm pretty sure she is a hen and the first few times she acted like this I we thought about night blindness but it was still fairly light and she found her way into the coop but she just didn't want to stay in
    Thanks for the help :)

5. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

What about snakes, mice, rats or something digging or scratching to get it. Could she be spooked? She's trying to tell you something. Respect her and figure it out. :)

6. fourpekins

fourpekins New Member

Snakes aren't a problem but we have had sightings of rats in the garden. This was a few weeks after the behaviour started and there hasn't been any rat damage to the coop as far as I can tell. We have put poison down and I haven't seen them for a while. We do have some tame blackbirds that occasionally go into their run during the day to drink their water, would this upset her?

7. Energyvet

Energyvet New Member

I'm thinking the blackbirds no. But rats might have spooked her. She may have been on the ground and the others on the roost. Be sure there is room for all to be off the ground but rats can go anywhere - even along poles.

8. fourpekins

fourpekins New Member

Luckily their roost is inside the run and off the ground with a floor under the perches but I was concerned about the rats as in the morning she squawks a lot

9. soratosjc

soratosjc New Member

All of our girls get agitated and vocal at dusk. They couldn't figure out how to get into the coop from the run for a long time so we would lift each one up for a few weeks.