Stick tight fleas- pics added

Discussion in 'Emergencies, Illness, Meds & Cures' started by seminolewind, Dec 24, 2017.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Super Mod Staff Member

I'm posting because there's so little information out there specifically about chickens and these stick tight fleas. They are chicken oriented, but will settle for any warm body. So I ordered my dog Frontline. So far I've found 2 on me, and they do stick hard!

Most of my chickens are in pens so I can't imagine how this spread or where it came from. they like the folds above the eye on a chicken so they look like they have eyeliner on. 2 of my chickens had gotten so bad that their "poof" got darker and looked dirty before I realized what they had. They are very hard to see and distinguish from a speck of dirt.

I wonder how I'm going to treat the sand pens? The coop will be emptied and sprayed. But what about the sand?

So far I have used Vaseline or triple abx ointment on their faces to smother them which works well and won't hurt their eyes. I have used Frontline, Poultry dust (permethrin), horse spray (permethrin) and ivermectin drops. I think the problem is decreasing but it's slow. Now my 10 week olds have them and one had a dirty looking poof, so they all got powdered today. AND YES they do jump like fleas.

It sounds like there's a cycle that needs to be broken by treating the birds and the surroundings. They eggs drop off from the flea to the ground and 14 days later you have a flea that jumps back on a warm body.

What actually alerted me to the stick tight fleas is that one of my Polish hens who's usually plump and lively was looking pale and listless. I took a closer look and she had them around her eyes. They must have caused anemia.

Since a chicken could not have brought them here, I wonder what did. Birds? Rodents? I've had my chickens for 10 years and this is the first time I've had this problem.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Can you try pure neem.oil. mixed with olive oil (neem.oil stings a bit so cutting it with olive oil works). It's a natural insecticide and I've had great results using it. Most Asian food stores carry it and I think Amazon too

3. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

Stick tight flea infestations can begin through contact with wild birds.
    The female stick tight fleas stay attached for 2-3 weeks. The females lays eggs that fall to the ground that hatch into larva that feed on organic matter.
    Within 2-4 weeks the larva pupate. The lifecycle is completed in 1-2 months.
    They are more prevalent in cooler months.
    Here's a link with treatments at the bottom of the page (like what you're currently doing.)
    http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/fleas

Good info: Breaking the fleas lifecycle...Dawn dish detergent. You have to repeat lawn treatment to kill each successive egg hatch until they are all wiped out. Here's a link:
    https://www.hunker.com/13406499/lawn-treatments-for-fleas-using-dawn-dish-detergent

Maryellen and boskelli1571 like this.
  4. seminolewind

Thanks , Dawg. I was not correct about the lifecycle so I deleted my numbers.
    I bought 64 ounces of yard but killer that attaches to the hose. So hopefully I can reduce numbers in the soil.

Neem oil sounds good but these things are right around the eye and I have to use something that is safe for their eyes.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I have a few of these type sprayers...el cheapo's lol.
    thspr.jpg

6. seminolewind

LOL. I have 2 somewhat like that. But I love the yard spray ones that connect on to a hose. I also have one of those car wash things that you fill with soap. I use it for Virkon.

7. chickenqueen

chickenqueen Super Moderator Staff Member

Dawn dish liquid won't kill everything.just what you spray and it would also feed your lawn,if you had one.When I used Dawn on the flea infested dog,they were dropping off dead when all I did was pour some on his back.I use it on my garden to try to spare the pollinators,lady bugs and praying mantis.Like Dawg,I have a cheapo sprayer to do the dirty work.You fill it up and go on a mission of destruction.Also,one gallon of distilled vinegar, a cup of salt and a couple of drops of Dawn to make it stick makes a non-toxic weedkiller.

8. seminolewind

Dawn is said to be good but I prefer to bring out the big guns with a problem like this. Tonight is Vaseline night. Better to schmear up their eyes when they don't need to see.

Can anyone recommend a regular shampoo that can be safe in their eyes? It's just not possible to shampoo their heads and face without washing over their eyes.

9. chickenqueen

Baby shampoo.You could even buy travel bottles to save space.It wouldn't burn the eyes but shampooing too much can dry out their feathers/skin.

seminolewind likes this.
  10. seminolewind

Good thinking. I'll wait for a warm day.

11. seminolewind

P1020375.JPG First, 2 of my 12 week Polish. I can't tell you how fast this happens going from a few fleas to an infestation. Then I notice them in the head feathers and had to cut feathers to treat. Fingers crossed.

P1020380.JPG P1020385.JPG P1020386.JPG P1020388.JPG P1020392.JPG P1020431.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  12. seminolewind

I spent this afternoon treating the bad ones. Ointment and Permethrin powder.

13. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I'd get either 250ml ivermectin pour on for cattle or Advantage ll for a small dog. Since the fleas suck blood, let them suck poison. They'd still have to be plucked off though after they're dead. Two or three drops on bare skin on the back of the neck should do the trick. The ivermectin pour on is quicker absorbing through skin into the bloodstream than the Advantage, but either will do.

seminolewind likes this.
  14. seminolewind

I did that- Ivermectin pour on. What seems to be recommended is something I didn't think you could use. But you can. Malathion. I get conflicting amounts to use from 1.5 teaspoons per gallon, one tsp per liter, 1 ounce per gallon , 1 Tbls per gallon..........
    I'm thinking of starting with a tsp per liter.

I cannot believe how quickly this became an epidemic. I remember checking everyone with a flashlight maybe a month or so ago, and only a few chickens had a few. The next thing I know is one actually gets anemic that gets my attention, and it seems like overnight it gets bad like those pictures. I'm out there with my chickens for over an hour a day.

Seems this situation wears a chicken down pretty quick. They get anemic pretty quick, and do a lot of head shaking and scratching which stresses them bad. The chickens with the poofs like Polish and silkies also get them on their scalp.

Hannah - Polish was the first one to become anemic and listless. She got ointment on her face, poultry powder, and frontline. Within a few days she cleared up really well and must have scratched the dead bugs off because they were gone.

Seems the thing that kills them the best is ointment to smother them.

15. seminolewind

Advantage 11. $27.99 for 2 doses for dogs 4-10 pounds. I would need $391.00 to treat 28 chickens weighing 4 pounds.

For xtra large dogs over 55 pounds, 4 pack $44.99. One dose divided by 4 pounds= about 14 chickens per dog dose. So I could treat 28 chickens once for $22.50. Still pricey but do-able.

16. seminolewind

Frontline 44 pounds for $33 for 3 pack. A few dollars less than $33 for treating 28 -4 pound chickens.

17. chickenqueen

Bathe them in Dawn dish soap one time only.It will kill the fleas and make them drop off(much cheaper than chemicals and safer).

seminolewind likes this.
  18. seminolewind

Thanks, CQ. How do I keep the soap out of their eyes when shampooing their head? Dawn would be great. Or how bout No more tears baby shampoo?

I thought I could go out yesterday and spray all of the pens, the coop, clean the coop of everything first, etc. However, the coop took a real long time, DUH!. I also mixed up a bottle of Malathion. I figure I could spray them, then use a q-tip for their faces. The ointment works great especially really close to the eyes. But the next day, their faces are caked with dirt, LOL. More cleaning. I'm not sure if I should use Malathion on the 12 week old babies.

19. dawg53

dawg53 Well-Known Member

I wouldnt.

20. seminolewind

Okay, I won't. I bought some baby shampoo because from all the ointment on everyone's faces and the dirt, they all look like Pigpen. I guess I'll do the babies with the Vaseline.