stay safe and healthy everyone

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Maryellen, Mar 18, 2020.

1. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Member

We now have 10 confirmed cases.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

I've known for almost a week there was a positive on a resident in the nursing home in my town. They tested the resident on Monday, did not get results until Friday. They tested one other person.

It's a nursing home, a closed environment and they've done only two tests? That's insane. All you have to do is read what happened in the nursing homes in WA State to know that two tests is not going to do anything.

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

It appears that we have 3 cases now as of today in my county.

4. robin416

OK, so I'm going to be wearing a mask when I go out again. I'm going to feel stupid but I'm not waiting on them to get enough tests done to find out how bad this thing is.

5. Sylie

Good Idea! I am making some cloth ones with a sort of "filter" inside for my son (works at WalMart) and my husband (works in a factory with less than stellar health and safety precautions) and myself when I go to my parents room to take care of them or drop off their shopping. (which gets sanitized before it goes out there) The masks that I am making will be washable and the filters replaceable. I am still deciding on the appropriate filter material, I am thinking about buying a replacement filter for my air cleaner, it's one of those that cleans virus's from the air as well as cat dander, smoke, allergens etc etc, the expensive ones. I'll take it apart and see if I can use the filter inside the mask somehow. I won't know until I can get one to take apart but that's my idea anyway.

Maryellen likes this.
  6. robin416

That's a thought on the filter. Now you've got me thinking. As long as it doesn't make too hard to inhale or exhale it might be doable.

7. Sylie

Right, that would be something that I would check out, if someone with no breathing difficulties can breath through it normally and then if someone with some breathing difficulties can breath through it.
    When I take the filter apart I'll see if it's one big piece of filter fan folded to fit in the plastic case or if it's a bunch of pieces cut into slices or whatever and see what I can do with it.

8. darui

darui New Member

yep stay safe guys

9. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Nj now on another 30 day lockdown. Alot of people are beyond pissed that the beaches won't be open... and so it continues.... me, I dont care. I'm not a fan of most people to begin with, so this social isolation isnt affecting me. .

10. robin416

I'm glad you found a few minutes to stop in. Are you still covered up or has things calmed down a bit for you?

My friend up your way said their office is opening the middle of the month. So, they must be relaxing some things.

11. Slippy

Slippy Member

I hope all of you that were caught off guard have learned something from this COVID19 thing.

Buy an extra "whatever" every week or so. Buy an extra case of TP, an extra case of beans, and extra box of ammo, an extra bit of feed, an extra bottle of meds, Vit C, box of 3" Screws, whatever...etc etc etc.

Start now and don't be caught off guard the next time their is a shortage, or a snow storm, or a hurricane or a pandemic or whatever.

Y'all have seen the madness at the stores, the idiocrazy that ensued. Don't let that happen again...Be PREPARED!

12. Maryellen

We are now partially open. Still have to wear masks in stores. It's going to be a slow process for sure.
    Alot of people cant handle the situation and are rude , disrespectful and downright babies. Its really pathetic

13. robin416

I'm not seeing it here but I am seeing fewer and fewer wearing masks even though our numbers are going up.

14. Sylie

About 5% of our town wears masks anymore even though our numbers are going up. Social distancing? no one knows what that is even when you put marks on the floor telling them where to stand! it's so irritating. lol Sorry

15. Maryellen

Here in nj its mandatory when you go to any store.
    I've seen older people wear masks under their nose...... so wrong

16. robin416

Just wait, when it gets good and hot up there and the humidity climbs. The mask is miserable. Used to be you rushed in the store just for the AC now it's because you're going to suffocate in the mask in the heat.

I've seen folks who should know better doing the same thing. That's OK, at least their droplets are still in their masks and not hanging in the air waiting on some fool without one.

17. Sylie

Most people around here refuse to wear a mask and of those that do wear them, 80% wear them under their noses too, it's not doing any good at all, the reason that they shove a giant Q tip up your nose when they test for corona is because it LIVES IN YOUR NOSE until it replicates and spreads to other portions of your respiratory system, by not wearing the mask over your mouth and nose, you might as well not wear it at all. If they sneeze, they have spread the virus because the mask is not covering their nose. When you cough and talk, SOME air comes out of your nose even though the majority of the air is coming from your mouth in those cases but it still exits your nose at the same time because those passages are all connected.

Maryellen likes this.
  18. Thomas Lippert

Thomas Lippert Member

As an "essential" worker the only thing I miss is the lack of traffic with the non essentials gone. I do plumbing and hvac and the driving was heavenly till a week ago.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
  19. robin416

You're right, some of the traffic has been surreal. I had to go into the city on Saturday. I hated going into the city on the weekends but this one Saturday there were empty parking lots. No backups at the lights.

It's pretty much gone now. But our daily numbers have doubled since that change too.

Thomas Lippert likes this.