stay safe and healthy everyone

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Maryellen, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Maryellen

Maryellen Well-Known Member

Everyone please stay safe and healthy.
    We are on a loose stay in from 8pm to 5am here in nj. most jobs are having employees work from home , some folks are getting laid off. Restaurants are now curbside or delivery only, no sitting at a place to eat .Everything is closing ,malls,gyms,theaters etc to try to stop this virus from spreading more but alot of people are blowing it off ...

Those of us with health issues cant take chances.

2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Seeing pretty much the same thing here. They announced today no elective surgeries for the foreseeable future. We have our first case of the virus locally. Which is saying something since we're not as heavily populated as your state, ME.

Have you got all the people needs and critter needs so you can stay close to home?

3. Sylie

Sylie Super Moderator Staff Member

Same here, everything is closing down except essential services, emergency rooms are open, most stores are on limited hours, schools are closed, bowling alley and movie theater are closed, gas stations are pay at the pump only. Our grocery store is only open from 8 a.m to 8 p.m. and the elderly and immune compromised are allowed to shop from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m. with no other shoppers allowed in. Wal mart is only open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. right now but there are rumors that will change to 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. in the near future.
    My parents live with us, they are eldery and immune compromised, I go to the store for them but use sanitizer between touching things and then I change clothes and shower before going into their room. They have a mini apartment that we built for them onto our house so no one goes in there without showering first and of course, changing clothes.

Maryellen likes this.
  4. Maryellen

I have 4 months of cat food,3 months of dog food, 4 months cockatiel food, and 3 months of chicken and goat food. For us humans we are slowly filling our freezers and getting canned goods I have plenty of regular baby aspirin, cold meds. Flu meds, I bought a huge box of toilet paper from amazon last week that will last for a few months.
    Since I have asthma I'm going to self quarantine for 3 months as anyone with lung issues/diabetes/health/heart issues can be affected worse then healthy people.

I am calling my dr tomorrow to get my inhaler prescription refilled so I will hopefully be able to have a few on hand for me.
    I have lots of eggs too. Plus lots of soap and hand sanitizer, plus sanicide and other cleaners the CDC said would kill the virus. I'm using ozone, rubbing alcohol, soap.

5. robin416

Yep, you're ready. Since I hate grocery shopping I typically have a couple of months of food on hand. I did pick up extra chicken feed. I get my cat food from Chewy.

6. Sylie

I can't do any stocking up until payday, I am really worried about it but I just don't have the money. Payday is another week away yet. Any ideas if I can't get anything? I have LOTS of peas though! at least the ducks will be happy and fed hahahaha

7. robin416

Not being able to do big shopping for another week might just work out for you. All the panic buying should be over and the stores should be restocked. Just buy two of what you would normally buy one of.

8. robin416

So, there were some people talking about coffee recently. I order my beans from a company in the NE. I got an email from them last week alerting customers to them being cautious and that they could close if things kept escalating.

Yesterday I ordered another five pounds even though I've got about seven pounds in the freezer now. Turns out it's a good thing I did. As of today they will not be accepting any more orders because they're shutting down.

9. Maryellen

Finding toilet paper out here is impossible. I picked up 12 rolls of paper towels today. But toilet paper is not around anywhere. It's just insane

10. robin416

I've seen pics of people with vehicles full of toilet paper. That's just insane. Now stores are finally getting with the program and saying no more to the hoarding of products.

11. Sylie

So far none of the important businesses are closed completely but all of them have reduced hours and a lot of restrictions on what you can buy and how much of it. I was able to snag a 16 roll pack of toilet paper yesterday to share amongst the 6 of us, it's 1 ply o_O but better than newspaper or magazines. We are only allowed 1 roll of paper towels per household per day, we now have 4 rolls in the house.
    Tomorrow I am going to get chicken food and other animal food (cat dog dove fish etc) but I don't have the money to stock up, I'll just have to hope for the best. I am borrowing this money as it is.

12. robin416

I know with so many people in your house it's hard to have extra on hand. I hate grocery shopping so much I usually have more than a month of food in the freezer. Once I started that it was pretty easy to keep it topped off.

13. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Member

So far we don't have a confirmed case in my county. As of yesterday a couple surrounding counties reported their first cases so I'm expecting that here in the near future.
    It's the same thing here with the restaurants and retail stores, and they're finally putting limits on how much 1 person can buy of certain products. Schools are closed at least another 10 days, youngest dd's prom has been cancelled and I'm expecting the same for graduation unless there's a a major turnaround with this thing.

14. robin416

I went into the city today. Really didn't want to but the clouds of mosquitoes we've got going on right now is very concerning. So, I went to get a couple of bug zappers.

It was strange to see so much closed on a Saturday. There was a lot of traffic heading north, probably the spring breakers heading home since they couldn't go to the beaches.

15. Maryellen

Nj is on a stricter lockdown as of 9 pm tonight. With more testing comes more results of people having the virus.

16. robin416

I was surprised when I talked to the NJ podiatrist friend yesterday that their offices are still open. Maybe when I talk to him next week he'll say they shut them down.

17. Sylie

We don't have a confirmed case yet either, the nearest is an hour away so we've got a little time I hope lol. The extreme hoarding and overstockers are pretty much done now but Wal Mart has yet to get the shelves filled again, I'm sure it's a slow process with all of the stores needing restocked. We do find a few people here and there that are still hoard shopping but it's not nearly what it was a few days ago. Boy that was scary going to Wal Mart. You would get run over if you didn't keep moving. I had one particularily rude fella say "get out of the way, I need paper towels", I moved but looked at his cart and found he already had 2 8 roll packs in his cart (this was before the restrictions went into place)...omg man, what do you need so many paper towels for? Another woman was pushing a cart and dragging one along behind her, both full of stuff. It's ridiculous. Today, things were much more calm but I did run into one lady that was in the cat food isle stacking 24 pack cases of canned cat food in her cart one on top of the other, at the time I saw her, she already had 5 24 pks in her cart and was still picking more up. HOW MANY CATS DO YOU HAVE?! I know that I have more than my share of cats with 7 in the house (3 are my kids responsibility so I don't buy for them) but sheesh!

18. robin416

So, here it is. We have five in the hospital in the city south of me. What's concerning about that is the city isn't big by any stretch. We have the five in the hospital but have no idea who else has the virus because there are no tests. The only tests done are those showing symptoms.

Oh and because I had to go down for rehab I decided to pick up more veggies (I was out) do you know there still isn't any toilet paper or antiseptic products? Good thing I keep both around just generally or I'd be up a creek.

19. Sylie

I'm kind of surprised that you can still go to rehab. Most of those non critical services are shut down here. You can't walk into the hospital through any door other than the ER and even then, someone is there to take your temperature and question you about why you are there. There is no physical therapy, no side clinics (vision, neurology except emergencies, etc) Nothing is open here and we don't even have a single case let alone a hospitalized one, anywhere in our county.

20. robin416

The rehab I go to isn't in the hospital. The rehab is doing the same thing but that's about useless. They are setting up a virtual visit for continuing rehab visits. Not sure I can do that because of my internet connection.

Same thing, no one is allowed in the hospital. That should be interesting. I have an appointment for a mitral valve recheck next month.