Chicken Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this probably sounds crazy even gross to some of you but I'm starting to grow my own mealworms for my birds. They absolutely love meal worms and its a great high protein treat. They can get expensive up to 5 dollars for a can of 50 where I live.So I'm starting to grow them myself! So far I have about 500. Its pretty easy really. I have two plastic bins one for Beatles one for worms. Do you all think I'm Crazy or you think its a good idea. :)

·
Registered
839 Posts
I just started some too. I kinda forgot about them till the other day, they seem fine though. It is gross, I think, but they are just too expensive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm just curious as to how it works.....do the chickens eat the beetles too?
I don't think it's crazy at all. Just thinking about it makes me want to do a eww eww eww dance though!! I'm not so sure I could mess with them myself.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not going to give the Beatle to them.only keeping them for eggs. They die' after giving eggs. Then the eggs turn into the worms an the cycle starts again. I'm raising mine in plain bran. Then for moisture you can put a piece of veggie inside like potato slice or carrot or banana peel. Make sure the fruit doesn't get meldew. Its pretty easy . the birds just love them. Its great for bonding with the birds! Also good for them too!

·
MommaHen
88 Posts
I have my own little colony as well. If you keep them in an open plastic container the beetles can't crawl out.
The beetles lay eggs, which turn into mealworms, which turn into pupae, which hatch into beetles..... You get the picture.

We don't "sort" ours. We pick the worms out and throw them to the chickens. As the beetles die we pick them out and feed them to the chickens too. No maintenance other than throwing a potato or apple slice into the container once a week for moisture.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I started 4 bins in the fall, looking forward to using them on a regular basis, and the wife is looking forward to them moving back out to the shed....

I used oatmeal, and I have to say, wish I could have found bran, sorting them is a bit of a hassle!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've raised crickets in the past and was wondering how hard mealworms were.... my chickens are absolutely mental for them. I was also considering a hissing roach colony since I live in an area where they'd freeze and die if they escaped - at least by the time winter came around. I don't know if I feel like spending a dollar on one bug just to see if the chickens even like them... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Where did you find bran? Do you just buy it in a bag?

Still don't know if I can deal with a tub of creepy crawly beetles and worms, but it's got my curiosity up. I'm not even sure my chickens would eat them. They're so picky lately!! Won't even eat earthworms now. They'll spy them in the yard, go running to get it, pick it up, toss it aside, and wipe off their beaks as if they got slimed. This repeats over and over....... Goofy pullets!

·
Banned
825 Posts
Where did you find bran? Do you just buy it in a bag?

Still don't know if I can deal with a tub of creepy crawly beetles and worms, but it's got my curiosity up. I'm not even sure my chickens would eat them. They're so picky lately!! Won't even eat earthworms now. They'll spy them in the yard, go running to get it, pick it up, toss it aside, and wipe off their beaks as if they got slimed. This repeats over and over....... Goofy pullets!
QUIT FEEDING your Chickens "Chocolate-Frosted Angel-Food Cake".....
and THEN...soon...they will eat worms. :)

Don't be like Marie Antionette and say: "Let them eat cake !"

WORMS are healthier. (more Protein ! ) ;)

Ha-Ha !
-ReTIRED- :)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
JRaymond said:
How do I get them started I'm clueless?!?!
There are lots of YouTube videos on it, easy, worms, medium, food. I used oatmeal, but am going to restart with bran. I bought the worms at petco. Over with the reptiles. Just don't get the super large ones, they don't breed as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah they are easy ... adult crickets that you find in the store will lay eggs ANYWHERE. I just used little peat pods like for starting seeds the females will totally lay their eggs in anything really.

The babies though are notoriously hard to keep living just because SO MUCH can overpower them and kill them. Too much heat, too much condensation, inappropriate ways of delivering water (moist foods or sponges are the safest ways), not enough food (they will eat each other), etc. Egg cartons are your friend - gives you a LOT more surface area per tank, and helps to wick away excess humidity or moisture, insulates and provides cover.

Mealworms are MUCH easier, less messy and stinky (crickets do stink especially once they expire) and crickets are wayyyyyyyyy more likely to escape (they WILL escape and you WILL not have an escape-proof setup ever ... because there is always a few of them that manage to escape, so in the house isn't the best place to raise them. Mealworms are realllly easy and give ya more nutritional bang for the buck, IMO.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Alyssa said:
Yeah they are easy ... adult crickets that you find in the store will lay eggs ANYWHERE. I just used little peat pods like for starting seeds the females will totally lay their eggs in anything really.

The babies though are notoriously hard to keep living just because SO MUCH can overpower them and kill them. Too much heat, too much condensation, inappropriate ways of delivering water (moist foods or sponges are the safest ways), not enough food (they will eat each other), etc. Egg cartons are your friend - gives you a LOT more surface area per tank, and helps to wick away excess humidity or moisture, insulates and provides cover.

Mealworms are MUCH easier, less messy and stinky (crickets do stink especially once they expire) and crickets are wayyyyyyyyy more likely to escape (they WILL escape and you WILL not have an escape-proof setup ever ... because there is always a few of them that manage to escape, so in the house isn't the best place to raise them. Mealworms are realllly easy and give ya more nutritional bang for the buck, IMO.
I already have the mealworms going, just wondering about the crickets. Thanks so much for the info!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts