Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start collecting eggs tomorrow.

The good news is that the recently aquired RIR hens have settled in and have started to lay. So numbers being what they are I might make a 50 or 60 egg hatch. Probably 30 - 40 RIRs and 20 - 30 BSLs.

If the egg count number is on the low side I may opt to use my small incubator.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First day of egg saving didn't go to well.

I had a late afternoon Dr apt. Long story short I am now on blood pressure meds (d%#^***+).

My wife collected eggs, mixed RIRs with BSLs, cracked a couple, egg white smeared on the others, so I washed them put them in the fridge. Maybe it will go better this evening.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
3 more days to save eggs, I should end up with around 45 - 50, shouldn't be hard to cull them down to 40 perfect eggs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would like ask you what are BSL and RIR,because i don't know this symbol.I think it may be male and female..Thank you

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BSL = black sexlink. A crossbreed between a RIR rooster and a barred rock hen. Sex of the hatchling can be determined by feather color at the time of hatch.

RIR = Rhode Island Red. One of the traditional American rock breeds.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I re-examined my work schedule, decided to put them down tonight, rather than wait for tomorrow.

Final score started, RIR - 41, BSL - 27.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Day 1 temp holding, turners turning, fan is fanning, all is well, in incubator land.

It's getting to be a real drag getting up at 0300 to go to work on day shift. My wagon is draggin today.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts