Chicken Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been doing a lot of thinking. And I think I wanna start my own colt/filly. I have tons of experience with horses and take reining lessons. Any advice/tips about starting a colt?? I would really appreciate it! :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well do NOT let the colt get In ur personal space. The first colt I started, I did that and it was the worst thing ever. He would step on me and run me over. It is like on of the wrist things u can do is let the horse get in ur personal space. Good luck! 

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
briannasellars said:
Well do NOT let the colt get In ur personal space. The first colt I started, I did that and it was the worst thing ever. He would step on me and run me over. It is like on of the wrist things u can do is let the horse get in ur personal space. Good luck! 
Good to know! Thank you!! :)

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
It's been a very long time since I lived in the horse world, but with babies it's all about trust and respect. Are you planning on getting a weanling or working with a baby still with Mom?

Do you already work with green horses or just pre-trained? Learning body language and "horse whispering" techniques goes a long way when working with the young and the green. :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roslyn said:
It's been a very long time since I lived in the horse world, but with babies it's all about trust and respect. Are you planning on getting a weanling or working with a baby still with Mom?

Do you already work with green horses or just pre-trained? Learning body language and "horse whispering" techniques goes a long way when working with the young and the green. :)
I am going to get a weanling. And I do have some experience with green horses. I had a 4 year old BLM mustang, and worked some of my neighbors horses who were green. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Like Rolyn said, horse whispering tactics do go a LONG way. Trust also has some to do with it but, remember stuff that they do as a baby that looks cute, can turn into a AWFUL habit when they are older. Respect also has a lot to do with it too. It's good to keep in mind that if you let them get away with little stuff, it's shocking what else they come up with that they think they can get away with.

I know al of this because I am a barrelracer and have trained many horses from birth (mostly for other people).

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
briannasellars said:
Like Rolyn said, horse whispering tactics do go a LONG way. Trust also has some to do with it but, remember stuff that they do as a baby that looks cute, can turn into a AWFUL habit when they are older. Respect also has a lot to do with it too. It's good to keep in mind that if you let them get away with little stuff, it's shocking what else they come up with that they think they can get away with.

I know al of this because I am a barrelracer and have trained many horses from birth (mostly for other people).
Ok great thank you!

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
Some handy quotes from my former life mentors:

"You can train a horse for 6 months, or you can retrain him for 6 years."

Along the lines of what Brianna was saying above,
"If he gets away with it for the third time it's now a habit."

"People are harder to train than horses."

"YOUR confidence is worth a million dollars."

And from my German Dressage instructor who would put on red capes and jump out at you while you were in collection, or throw nerf balls into the ring and then yell at you while your horse spooked and bucked etc. <insert thick German accent> "You are never there, you will learn something everyday, every person you meet will teach you something, every horse you touch will teach you something. The day you can say that you have laid your hands on every horse that has ever lived.......that will be the day that you can say you are done learning." :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
It takes time, trust and respect... as was posted before.

I wish you well, it can be awesome when everything comes together. ;)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Respect! They cannot view you as a friend…or an equal. If they do they can hurt you bad. Just watch how they play with each other. Kicking, biting, butting.

We had one that was the friendliest little QH you could imagine. But he was so dangerous. IMO, if you want a big pet, get a dog. Horses make make horrible pets. Plus being very expensive if they are stabled.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Roslyn said:
Some handy quotes from my former life mentors:

"You can train a horse for 6 months, or you can retrain him for 6 years."

Along the lines of what Brianna was saying above,
"If he gets away with it for the third time it's now a habit."

"People are harder to train than horses."

"YOUR confidence is worth a million dollars."

And from my German Dressage instructor who would put on red capes and jump out at you while you were in collection, or throw nerf balls into the ring and then yell at you while your horse spooked and bucked etc. <insert thick German accent> "You are never there, you will learn something everyday, every person you meet will teach you something, every horse you touch will teach you something. The day you can say that you have laid your hands on every horse that has ever lived.......that will be the day that you can say you are done learning." :cool:
Thank you!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ellis36 said:
Respect! They cannot view you as a friend…or an equal. If they do they can hurt you bad. Just watch how they play with each other. Kicking, biting, butting.

We had one that was the friendliest little QH you could imagine. But he was so dangerous. IMO, if you want a big pet, get a dog. Horses make make horrible pets. Plus being very expensive if they are stabled.
Thank you! And yes I know horses can be expensive and dangerous. I have had many horses before and grew up around horses. I have just never started a colt so needed some tips. And I'm not looking for a big pet, already have 2 big dogs lol ;) but thanks anyways!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ground work! You can teach them just about everything they need to know from the ground. Check out RFD TV. There are some great trainers like Clinton Anderson, Pat Perelli and Julie Goodnite that you an get training tips from. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Ground work! You can teach them just about everything they need to know from the ground. Check out RFD TV. There are some great trainers like Clinton Anderson, Pat Perelli and Julie Goodnite that you an get training tips from. Good luck!
I had forgotten about RFD TV ... good point! :)

(We no longer have sat/cable ;))

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Barnbum374 said:
Yes! Great idea thank you!! I am constantly watching RFD TV, can't believe I didn't think of that lol :p

·
Registered
16 Posts
All u have to do is be patient and be good to the colt/filly and be kind when it does something good reward it and if it does something bad dont beat it like some people would do just make it do it again until he gets it right and give him breaks and then he will be like a kid and follow u when he gets older probably and he will probably want to play alot when ur training him or her. Hope I helped any

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
megan013 said:
All u have to do is be patient and be good to the colt/filly and be kind when it does something good reward it and if it does something bad dont beat it like some people would do just make it do it again until he gets it right and give him breaks and then he will be like a kid and follow u when he gets older probably and he will probably want to play alot when ur training him or her. Hope I helped any
Oh I would never beat my horse! But thank you!! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts