Tennessee Started Phoenix bantam chicks

Discussion in 'Chickens' started by danathome, Sep 26, 2020.

1. danathome

danathome Active Member

11.png AAApp.jpg AAApw.jpg AAAwhh.jpg AAAw.jpg I fell for it again-a buyer asked that I hatch her some phoenix chicks and I did so only to have her make excuses as to why she could not come for them, but asked that I hatch out another small batch for her so she could get them "later". I did and was told the same excuses as before. I am feeling pretty stupid and over run with phoenix. Any one out there want some phoenix chicks at a great price? Seven chicks are two weeks old and seven are four five weeks old. $5.00 each. These are pure phoenix, reds, and whites. Below are pictures of the breeding stock.
    I do not ship birds.
    AAAw.jpg AAApp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2020
  2. robin416

robin416 Administrator Staff Member

Dan, hit Craigslist but post them for more. And if possible do as pairs or trios.

I had good luck rehoming those that I didn't want to keep in my breeding program using Craigslist. You can setup up meetups if you'd rather they didn't come to your place. I sure hope your wife is OK with playing chauffeur. :p

And if you decide to hatch for others, get a deposit first. That way they have some money already invested.

Poultry Judge likes this.

3. danathome

danathome Active Member

Dan, hit Craigslist but post them for more. And if possible do as pairs or trios. I have been doing this for a few years and no one around these parts is interested in long tail chickens.

I had good luck rehoming those that I didn't want to keep in my breeding program using Craigslist. You can setup up meetups if you'd rather they didn't come to your place. I sure hope your wife is OK with playing chauffeur. :pI have many people who come here for serama and turkeys, but I do ask them to use a mask and gloves. As for chauffeuring I try not to ask to often...

And if you decide to hatch for others, get a deposit first. That way they have some money already invested. Yes, I should have. Kimmi keeps telling me to do so. Just trying to be good to people; especially now with corvid and her being two hours away.

4. robin416

It's really a bad time of year to be trying to sell them too. Most are selling off what they don't want in their breeding programs so they're not stuck feeding them through the Winter.

You really don't have many options left out there for rehoming them. Does Yahoo still have groups? There used to be some very popular local groups on Yahoo, some dedicated to poultry.

5. danathome

danathome Active Member

I never did pay much attention to seasons even when I lived in WI that does have a real winter; but you are right.
    Yahoo groups I am unsure of-something to look into,

Another option is the local auction house, but I wouldn't get much for the birds. Still... Or just keep them through the winter and sell breeding pairs/trios in the spring; which is what I probably will do. Here in TN chickens can free range all winter.

I know Kimmi is going to grump about my not getting a deposit. But how does one ask for a deposit on eggs being brooded that may, or may not, hatch.

6. robin416

Remember, I lived about 40 miles West of you for 8 years. So, I'm familiar with TN winters. Especially when we got snow. ouch

Are they even having auctions right now?

7. danathome

danathome Active Member

Yes. Not sure when the last poultry auction of the year is; possibly the auction this weekend or next month. Kimmi is the cook at the auction house. They have a little restaurant area for the workers and for the buyer/sellers that want to eat.

8. robin416

Do not forget, they don't know how to drive on snow. Have no equipment to clear it.

One time I had to go into Hohenwald for something, it had to be either dog food or poultry feed, I took the Trace to Summertown Highway. Some fool was driving a car right down the middle of the Trace. As we kept getting closer I'm thinking to myself "Fool you better get in your lane. I'm in a truck and I'm not giving."

Oh, I grew up in MI and lived in MA for a time and want to talk about a mess when it snows, N. VA.

Overmountain1 and Poultry Judge like this.
  9. danathome

danathome Active Member

Do not forget, they don't know how to drive on snow. Have no equipment to clear it.Quite true. That is what I meant about being prepared... Snow here is so fleeting having equipment and chain for tires would be a waste.

One time I had to go into Hohenwald for something, it had to be either dog food or poultry feed, I took the Trace to Summertown Highway. Some fool was driving a car right down the middle of the Trace. As we kept getting closer I'm thinking to myself "Fool you better get in your lane. I'm in a truck and I'm not giving."We have had similar experiences.

Oh, I grew up in MI and lived in MA for a time and want to talk about a mess when it snows, N. VA.
    But here the snow doesn't last. A couple days and it's gone. Only our first year here was the snow bad in January; several inches that hung around for quite a while. Oddly, that year's Christmas eve and day were sunny and in the 70s. Shorts and t-shirts on Christmas; we thought we were in heaven... until January 1st.

Rain is more a problem-day after day it rains and turns the yard into a quagmire. I hated the snow but I'm getting to hate the mud more. We're on clay soil. Nasty stuff when it get soaked through.

So, unlike Wisconsin, the turkeys and longtails free range; most days.

10. robin416

That might have been the same Winter and my encounter with the idiot on the Trace. Yeah, those days we did get a bit of snow I had to leave the Guineas in their outside pen or they'd fly into the trees to avoid touching the snow.

Be glad you didn't live over where I was, the dirt is some of the worst I'd ever seen. It was some sort of chirt. Impossible to dig even with a tractor with an auger on it.

11. danathome

danathome Active Member

That might have been the same Winter and my encounter with the idiot on the Trace. Yeah, those days we did get a bit of snow I had to leave the Guineas in their outside pen or they'd fly into the trees to avoid touching the snow. Sometimes it's hilarious how birds fear anything new or are attracted to it as when my Yokohama chicks chased snow flakes last Winter. I wish I had made a video of it.

Be glad you didn't live over where I was, the dirt is some of the worst I'd ever seen. It was some sort of chirt. Impossible to dig even with a tractor with an auger on it.Sounds horrid. I like to garden. This clay is hard enough to get plants to grow in. Gardening for me takes many forms. If the sun shines tomorrow I'll post pictures of my WINTER serama coop. It should get a few smiles and gafaws.

12. robin416

I remember you mentioning the little buggers trying to catch the snowflakes.

Guineas are some of the worst when it comes to any kind of change. I make sure if I have to modify or add something to their coop they're there to see me doing it or I'd never get them in again. But they are the best for alerting to snakes, especially big snakes. One of them told me about a rattlesnake in my front yard a month or so back.

Was it the Highland Rim? I can never remember what they called that big circle of elevated ground that came as far south as where I was and went up to Nashville. Anyway, all the good topsoil eroded from that rim down into the lower elevations. It was so bad it didn't want to perk.

13. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

I hate it when people ask you to hatch birds for them and lose interest. Luckily, I have been able to get everyone appropriately placed as of yesterday for this year. But nope, not next year, if people want birds hatched they can pre-pay.

Overmountain1 likes this.
  14. robin416

It's a problem when they hatch but the "owners" don't take possession. A hefty deposit is incentive to come get whatever hatched. Most of those that do that as a normal course of business get deposits. If the hatch fails totally then the money is refunded.

15. Poultry Judge

Poultry Judge Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it only happened twice this year, both times with Blue Swedish ducks, folks thought they had to have them and then changed their mind by the time they were hatched. I have several types of contracts for Fossil Ledges, I will adapt one to cover hatching, at least enough deposit to cover the cost of the eggs. That's the issue with Peafowl, eggs from good birds are expensive.

Overmountain1 likes this.