Chicken Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image-4213216094.jpg

Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is? It had little hairs on its body. I found it on the straw I use for my chicken coop. Got total Heebie Jeebies right now :/

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
chickenmommy said:
Can anyone tell me what kind of spider this is? It had little hairs on its body. I found it on the straw I use for my chicken coop. Got total Heebie Jeebies right now :/
They look like jumping spiders. They jump and scare the crap out of me, but not harmful.

·
Registered
144 Posts
chickenmommy said:
This is a picture of a female platicryptus jumping spider. Very common in barns and sheds. They bite but are not considered dangerous.

Attachments

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's scary looking. The spider I found was the biggest spider I have ever seen around here. It was like 2-3 Inches long. I went to go get a stick to squish it and when I came back it was gone.

·
Registered
144 Posts
chickenmommy said:
If spiders sprout wings im gonna need therapy just to sleep lol
Lol! Spiders are beneficial, so they don't bother me. But cockroaches I am deathly afraid of. Just the way they scurry off. Ugh!

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
He looks like the funnel web spiders I have living on each of my nest boxes on the outside of the coop. I leave them there because they are great at keeping nuisance bugs out of the coop. Their webs are fascinating...I'll try to get some pics!

Here's a link to info on this spider...

http://www.everythingabout.net/arti...rthropods/arachnids/spiders/funnelweb_spider/

Their larger cousins, the wolf spider, can be quite large and was the constant occupant of our outhouse as I was growing up....now, imagine your bare bottom hanging out over a dark space...with the chance of a large, brown spider crawling out of any given area of the outhouse..as you shine your flashlight desperately around the small, enclosed room in the utter darkness. Who needs scary movies? :D

·
A Round American Woman
735 Posts
I've now had three severe reactions from "harmless" spiders. I now know why my Grandmother always raged an all out war against spiders.

My husband has thought me a little wacko each time until it happened to him and a teeny tiny spider fell on his neck out of a tree and bit his neck. His issue only lasted one week but he was in a lot of pain and said that it felt like someone hit him in the face with a piece of wood! He had no swelling, only a tiny red mark, but then his neck started to itch and his neck hurt, then his face. He had a hard time seeing out of the one eye and felt like he was punched. Nothing on the outside, just on the inside.

My issues have lasted from 2 weeks to 9 months! Bizzarre symptoms that travel through my body from the bite site. Twice I saw that the spider was speck small, but once I never did see the spider, just felt the bite.

I now follow in my Grandmother's footsteps and rage war on spiders. I don't see any of them as harmless.

Sorry, I have no idea what kind of spider that is. There are so many different ones that it's tough to narrow them down.

·
Banned
1,954 Posts
Henny, that is one pretty spider! I used to have a jumping spider living in my TV and it would come out and get on the screen whenever we watched a movie. I loved having it there...but my mother came to visit once and she's death on spiders, so she saw him and killed him with one swat! Poor little guy!

I can't tell you how many spiders I have almost swallowed when they got into my water glass at night...sppttllittttpptttt!!!! ICKsie! Lived in an old farm house that was spider heaven and so spiders were an every day thing..and every night. Silly beasts.

·
Registered
137 Posts
mamawolfen said:
I work VERY hard to not freak out at spiders... The chickens have been eating ours, which is AOk with me!
We have a bunch of daddy long legs at the barn. The chickens don't bother them. We also have lots of brown recluse and black widow spiders. I hope the chickens develop a taste for them!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Barnbum374 said:
We have a bunch of daddy long legs at the barn. The chickens don't bother them. We also have lots of brown recluse and black widow spiders. I hope the chickens develop a taste for them!
Don't know if you know this but I found out that daddy long legs are one of the most deadly spiders out there but because they have such tiny fangs they can't puncture your skin thank god on the other hand brown recluse are a whole diff ball game that's for sure.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bee said:
Henny, that is one pretty spider! I used to have a jumping spider living in my TV and it would come out and get on the screen whenever we watched a movie. I loved having it there...but my mother came to visit once and she's death on spiders, so she saw him and killed him with one swat! Poor little guy!

I can't tell you how many spiders I have almost swallowed when they got into my water glass at night...sppttllittttpptttt!!!! ICKsie! Lived in an old farm house that was spider heaven and so spiders were an every day thing..and every night. Silly beasts.
Yah I have a respect for spiders they do a wonderful job of killing all the pests in my gardens we have so many diff types here that when your out and about in the garden any rock u lift is guaranteed to have a spider under it. I always tell people if you take a moment and just watch a spider and close enough they are very beautiful and interesting to watch I find but I always find beauty in the strangest of things lol. That spider I had a pic of hangs around my porch all the time it's like having a pet spider around lol

1 - 20 of 37 Posts