Chicken Forum banner

Spash orpington

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  piglett 
#1 ·
I think splash orpingtons are really cool. How are they born? What i mean is what breeds make them. Is it a lavender and blue orpington mix?

#3 ·
i have imported english orpingtons
these come in 3 colors
black, blue & splash
if you breed black to black that is the only color you should get
now if you breed blue to blue you will get some blue & some splash
i think splash is about 1 in 10 if i recall.
rite now i have a splash cockerel that will be part of my breeding program once he gets a few weeks older.

#8 ·
The English Orpingtons are a lot rounder, and fluffier than their North American counterparts.

Breeding "blue" poultry will always yield blue, black or splash chicks, regardless of the breed.

Blue to blue yields approx. 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash

Black to black always yields all black.

Blue to black yields 50% blue, 50% black

Blue to splash is 50% blue, 50% black

Splash to splash is 100% splash

Splash to black yields 100% blue

With that said, I hatched out over 20 blue laced red Wyandotte this summer. The breeding flock were all blue laced and black laced bred in different combos and I did not get a single splash.

#9 ·
kessy09 said:
The English Orpingtons are a lot rounder, and fluffier than their North American counterparts. Breeding "blue" poultry will always yield blue, black or splash chicks, regardless of the breed. Blue to blue yields approx. 50% blue, 25% black and 25% splash Black to black always yields all black. Blue to black yields 50% blue, 50% black Blue to splash is 50% blue, 50% black Splash to splash is 100% splash Splash to black yields 100% blue With that said, I hatched out over 20 blue laced red Wyandotte this summer. The breeding flock were all blue laced and black laced bred in different combos and I did not get a single splash.
No I'm saying PIGLETT's orpington look more like a brown color

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.